• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken, engraved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230611-183115~2.png
Screenshot_20230611-183155~2.png
Screenshot_20230611-183217~3.png

I have the opportunity to possibly own this T/C .54 cal Hawken. I'm wondering if it is a special model, because of the beautiful engraving, including an elk on the patch box, or has had some custom engraving done. It appears to be a beautiful gun from the pics I have.

I would guess it was someone's elk hunting rifle that they added a bit of extra bling to, it looks nice and as stated if the bore is good and I was in the market for one of these I would but it, that is if the price was fair.

Ok, so even if you have personally checked out the bore with a bore scope and it is pristine, I would still expect a lot more gun or some additional cash in a trade for a $700 tractor, but if you and the gun owner are happy with the trade, go for it.

I recently purchased a 54 tc hawken off gun broker for 280.00 decent bore still some good prices out there but definitely not worth 700

Drop an AA or AAA battery down the bore and shine a flashlight on it. The bore is critical, but still not worth $700.00.
Nit Wit

I probably won't trade. I was hoping for a little less gun and some cash, or just cash and I might buy another gun plus some other stuff I need/want.

The owner wants to trade it to me for a Cub Cadet tractor I have. The tractor is worth $700.
May not be worth the $700 to anybody else but, it's YOUR tractor!! If it was me and I liked/wanted "that" rifle, I'd be all over it, like white on rice :D:D It's only $$$$ and you can't take it with you unless you can change it into Travelers Checks. When's the last time you saw another "engraved" rifle like that?
Like Nit Wit mentioned, may NOT be "engraved" but, it's COOL!! Worth $700?? That's for YOU to decide. ;):)

I will be the odd man out, a TC is a TC, the engraving looks cheesy to me, like putting lipstick on a pig.

I have customized 3 TC rifles but only by thinning and refining the wood to take away part of that ugly TC cheek piece, defining the lock panels and rounding the wrist more. I am sure someone would look at my work and find it looks cheesy to them as well.

Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for me no engraving, for others it is a thing of beauty.

Back