• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken .50 1:48" Twist Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd never shot this one before. .490 roundball, pillow tickin patch, Birddog6 patch lube, Windex wipe between shots, 60 grains of 3f Goex. First shot was almost exactly in the middle of the lower left bull. It was very hard to load until I switched to the Birddog 6 patch lube. I'd have shot at 50 but I can even see the targets.

100_2289.jpg

You are well on your way..the lube matters..I use a 3" target at 50 (eyes) 5 or 6" at 100 ..Keep up the good work!
looking forward to 50 and 100 yard reports.

Birddog6 lube is good stuff, I shot my 50 1:48 Renegade today @ 50 yards and got 1" groups & smaller. I'll post pics tomorrow here if you don't mind Mark, I don't want to highjack your thread.

Congrats!

I have the same rifle in .54. At 50m it is really a close hole to hole shooter, at 100m I was able to get 5 shots at 80mm/3.2". I use .525 RB, lubed patch .010", wad and 90 grs WANO PP.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Needs a lot of work! :shocked2: Send the rifle to me for break-in and load work up. Present turn around time is about 15 years. :haha:

I picked up a like new 1" across the flats 50 cal. 1:48 for my Renegade from one of ours here on the forum last winter. This was my load work up on Sunday, using a .490 Hornady RB with pillow ticking using Birddog6 lube. This was off a bench @ 50 yards. I did a quick spit patch clean after each shot. I think it's going to work well this year for deer & bear.

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Nice Shooting to you both!

I'm not surprised.....70 grains and a pillow-ticking patch seems to be the magic solution with these rifles!

Dave

...gotta agree with that!!... I'd take those groups any day... :thumbsup:

Back