• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .45 breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size jag will fit into the breech of a .45 Hawken?

In my experience none.....T/C breeches are more ogive shaped...jags are straight cylinders.
As long as you properly clean it shouldn't be an issue....I have removed two thinking that they were not getting clean and was wrong on both occasions. :2

Last edited by a moderator:
Like ColoradoClyde says, ogival shaped, and about 3/8" in diameter on mine. I wrap a cotton patch around the tip of a 9mm bore brush and that cleans the inside nicely. Turn in the direction to tighten. Be careful to not UNSCREW this when cleaning. There were correctly shaped "breech-face" scrapers for the T/C Hawkens produced at one time. You might find some new old stock if you look hard enough.

Thanks for the help.I don't have a jag like that but will hunt for one.Until I find one I will try the 9 mm brush.

Another option is to get a 36 caliber brush and fold the cleaning patch over that. The bristles grab the patch when you force it down into the patent breech, and in my experience the patch conforms so well that it actually cleans better than a configured jag. The bristles hold the patch just fine when you retract the rod.

Back