• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swan/Rupert Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone here make their own swan/Rupert shot ? I've made a pretth decent sized batch,more out of interest than any real need,and I plan to use it in Gerty,my old 12g,for hunting very soon. Be interested to see if anyone else actually uses it for hunting. I have made it before,and loaded it in modern shells to shoot out of a cylinder choked shotgun,so I know already that it won't produce beautiful neat patterns,but my experience with it has me convinced that it will be just fine out to 20m.

Attachments

• 20220103_082511.jpg
    20220103_082511.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20211231_091621.jpg
    20211231_091621.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 108
Not for many years Pete. The stuff I made worked well on close decoyed pigeons.
Yeah,I'm not expecting wonders,and I know its not the best made stuff,but I figure a rabbit will only need to be hit by one or 2 of these big buggers and it'll be game over. I almost wonder if they might actually do MORE damage than regular shot due to their odd shape 🤔

Don't know what kind of shot dropping machine you are using, but my hunting partner built one in our shop. All the pellets were rain drop shaped until we learned to coat the lip where the molten droplets bounce off with a thick layer of chalk. For harder shot we use WW lead that is dropped into a large container of cold water/anti-freeze mixture.

IIRC, a thin layer of unmixed dish detergent floating on the cold water surface helps make the pellet roundness more uniform. I'll have to check our notes because it's been a while since we dropped shot . . . 200 lbs last a long time when only used for hunting reloads.

IMO the rain drop shaped pellets are more lethal at close range than factory loads, even with less pattern density. I think some of the tumbling rain drop shaped pellets hit broadside or point first and really tear some nasty wounds thru feathers, fur and flesh.

Don't know what kind of shot dropping machine you are using, but my hunting partner built one in our shop. All the pellets were rain drop shaped until we learned to coat the lip where the molten droplets bounce off with a thick layer of chalk. For harder shot we use WW lead that is dropped into a large container of cold water/anti-freeze mixture.

IIRC, a thin layer of unmixed dish detergent floating on the cold water surface helps make the pellet roundness more uniform. I'll have to check our notes because it's been a while since we dropped shot . . . 200 lbs last a long time when only used for hunting reloads.

IMO the rain drop shaped pellets are more lethal at close range than factory loads, even with less pattern density. I think some of the tumbling rain drop shaped pellets hit broadside or point first and really tear some nasty wounds thru feathers, fur and flesh.
Literally pouring lead through a sieve into water with detergent in it.

Agreed. The tailed shot is poorly formed Rupert. I would also add that swan shot is actually a size of cast shot for those reading who may not know but are interested.
Have you made and used it for hunting ?

Can I just ask why you are wanting to shoot this type of shot? Can you not purchase regular sized modern shot? Also, I do not know where you live but make sure that it is legal to use that type of shot so you do not get fined. I know some places are really picky when it comes to game laws. Have fun and be safe.

Can I just ask why you are wanting to shoot this type of shot? Can you not purchase regular sized modern shot? Also, I do not know where you live but make sure that it is legal to use that type of shot so you do not get fined. I know some places are really picky when it comes to game laws. Have fun and be safe.
Because I can and it interests me to do so,and I don't have to worry about any laws like that

I have
[/QUOT

I made it in the 90s. Experimented with drop heights to try to curtail the tail. Most were like you show. Seems IIRC, historically arsenic was used for that purpose. I never hunted with it but got some fair short range patterns on the board and decent penetration on tin cans : ) I would like to experiment more if I ever get the time.

Does anyone here make their own swan/Rupert shot ? I've made a pretth decent sized batch,more out of interest than any real need,and I plan to use it in Gerty,my old 12g,for hunting very soon. Be interested to see if anyone else actually uses it for hunting. I have made it before,and loaded it in modern shells to shoot out of a cylinder choked shotgun,so I know already that it won't produce beautiful neat patterns,but my experience with it has me convinced that it will be just fine out to 20m.
I rely like the TEAR DROP DESIGHN. it rely tears into the game!

Good for you then. Have fun doing it. I did experiment with that type of shot years ago but it was a bismuth tin non toxic variety. It just did not pattern worth while past 20 yards.
Good luck.
George.

Good for you then. Have fun doing it. I did experiment with that type of shot years ago but it was a bismuth tin non toxic variety. It just did not pattern worth while past 20 yards.
Good luck.
George.
As i said,I've already used it before,just haven't hunted with it 🤷‍♂️

Back