• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestion for caplock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bapfreak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a caplock single-shot pistol in 50cal. I've narrowed down my search to either Lyman Great Plains Pistol, Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol, or Traditions Kentucky Pistol. Which one would you choose? Any other choices I might have missed?

FYI - I am looking for a current production NIB Ball Shooter.

I dig the Traditions "Trapper"

2nd choice I like the Plains pistol... :applause:

Speaking on the Traditions Trapper...

I was in a gun store looking at this pistol and the lock broke while doing routine manipulations of the trigger and hammer. The counter guy was shocked and he couldn't get it to work either after that. I was worried that he would blame me, but he didn't. After that, the Trapper never seemed appealing.

I use the Pedersoli Kentucky in NMLRA line matches and it has does well, it has won it's share of medals in Phoenix. A trigger job does help a lot.

Not sure what your budget level is, but I have leaned to Pedersoli for pistols.

RDE

I have the traditions trapper and kentucky and an H&A kentucky. Just too add experiance in the handling of these two different guns, there is a significant differance in the grip!
I have the blessing/curse of a big hand, I mean the ring finger is a size 17. The trapper feels good to hold, the T/C Patriot is very close too the same,,it fit's :wink: .
The Kentucky styles fit my 16 yr old son just fine,and he's a better pistol shooter than I. To me, the butt centers in my palm and can rotate as I squeeze the trigger unless I have it set to a hair. So before ya start thinkin trapper vrs kentucky, drive some place and put one in your hand and see how it fit's :wink:

Actually I have held both the Trapper and the Kentucky. My hands are actually quite small for a guy so the Trapper seems too big for me.

If money is no issue I would go with the Pedersoli kentucky. I like the full stock designs better and the birds head grips fit me well. The Pedersoli has a more traditional design than the traditions and a step up in quality. If you get a kit you have some room to fit the grip to your own hand.

I've the lyman plains in 50 to match the rifle. The grip looks clubby but is one of the most comfortable I've held. The trigger is great out of the box and very accurate. 30 gr 3F .490 and WalyWorld patch puts it into @ 2" off sandbags at 25 yards. My Sig 220 doesn't do that!

Back