• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking for historically correct jags try an iron worm with tow wrapped around it for cleaning.
Or you can tie a length of hemp cordage around some wet tow and push it down the barrel with your wiping stick, then pull it back out and repeat.
Either was used in lieu of jags for cleaning.
THIS IS THE WAY.

I have a .62 cal smoothbore, and every time I clean it, EVERY TIME, I end up with patch and jag stuck! Can anyone one tell me why? I do not have this issue with any of my rifles.

Thanks
I used to have patches pull off in my Smoothbore but never had it grab the jag?
I switched to a One Size Smaller jag then the barrel (sea Musket and a pistol) and the I cut my own Cotton Flannel patches (buy it by the yard, cheaper then store bought) and I use a Button Jag and cut the patch Large so it bunches up pulling it back out - I haven't had any more problems.

However, I run first run a couple patches, Then I run a wad of tow on a worm, Then pull it all out with the patches. Usually takes me about 6 or 7 patches and the tow gets washed out and dried to be reused, one or two more patches for the final oil wipe and DONE.

Now I haven't seen if you answered if you have a Vent Liner or not?
My Smoothbores do not but my rules do: with a vent liner i always pull it. Clean the threads, use the extra large hole to scrub the breach with Q-Tips.
Always GREASE the liner before replacing, use Only fingers screwing back in (no drivers or electric 'thread strippers) and do not over tighten; torque Not Required.

Switching to Cotton Flannel and custom cutting my sizes has saved me a lot of money, I use less patches because they clean and absorb better and I stopped losing patches. Using a one size smaller jag and tossing my brass brush out I don't get things stuck anymore either...if I feel I need more 'contact' then I just run that tow down and maybe run a double thick (two stached) Cotton Flannel patch.

I may have missed something because after two pages I just had to skip to the end. Personally I have never used a jag in a smooth bore. Just an aproprietlly sized mop and warm soapy water, never had a problem with that. You may have other issues that you need to look in to but stuck jags and broken ramrod should not be on the list.

I made several attempts making a jag for the heptagon bore 40 caliber rifle I cleaned up from being a closet queen for decades

I did not have any success with the necessary jag steps or the minimum to maximum range of diameters, I used a hollow glass tube so I could see what was happening

I have a 50 Cal rifle I have stripped down and plan to use it a lot at the range and I stuck the jag in it so bad (twice) I had to shoot it out

The bore is pitted and I have no problem with that right now

But there has got to be a better way

I like mops but they are throw away and that goes against my grain

I plan to try a bore mop for rifle with replaceable cloth (think fender washer, large diameter small hole), the cloth could be cut out and pieced through center. Stacked on a threaded screw making a stack. Could even make an end piece from felt or fabric countersunk for the screw head the face of which would clean the breech face area

Make up several for cleaning wet and some for dry. When they are used up, remove the stack and install another. Would I think, be awesome for grit or polishing the bore

Opinions?

Back