• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTT

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a .62 cal smoothbore, and every time I clean it, EVERY TIME, I end up with patch and jag stuck! Can anyone one tell me why? I do not have this issue with any of my rifles.

Thanks

It actually is any where in the barrel. Halfway or all the way to the breach. Wet or dry patch.

Concur with Ed. My guess is it is a bad combo of patch thickness / diameter, diameter of the jag, and the basic shape of the jag. It goes into the barrel fine, but with a little fouling on it, trying to reverse it forms a 'chinese fingers' situation.

I had one that did the same thing. I still have to be careful with dry patches.

I have a .62 cal smoothbore, and every time I clean it, EVERY TIME, I end up with patch and jag stuck! Can anyone one tell me why? I do not have this issue with any of my rifles.

Thanks
I’m dealing with the same problem with my Clay Smith .62 trade gun which has a Rice barrel. My first thought early on was the vent liner, but that wasn’t the problem. I’ve removed the breech 3 times looking for the problem with no luck. With the breech off the cleaning jag meets resistance before the vent, but I can’t see or feel anything. Actually talked to Rob M. about this and he recommended a good polishing. Show that’s my next move.

Concur with Ed. My guess is it is a bad combo of patch thickness / diameter, diameter of the jag, and the basic shape of the jag. It goes into the barrel fine, but with a little fouling on it, trying to reverse it forms a 'chinese fingers' situation.

I had one that did the same thing. I still have to be careful with dry patches.
That’s a good point, could be the jag isn’t concentric. I’ll check mine.

Any new cleaning jag of mine gets shaped in my drill press. Chuck it in on the jag shaft and hit the jag with a file to remove some material, and you can also deepen the grooves if you wish.Thinning the jag like this allows you to use thicker cleaning patches (like cut up cotton socks) which really work better. Pretty sure your troubles will end. I never had a stuck jag, ever, this way.
Ps: use water or Windex or something on the patch: NEVER run a dry cleaning patch down a dirty barrel😉

Any new cleaning jag of mine gets shaped in my drill press. Chuck it in on the jag shaft and hit the jag with a file to remove some material. Thinning the jag like this allows you to use thicker cleaning patches (like cut up cotton socks) which really work better. Pretty sure your troubles will end. I never had a stuck jag, ever, this way.
Ps: use water or Windex or something. NEVER run a dry cleaning patch down a dirty barrel😉
Yes, that's the ticket. I chose changing up patch thickness and diameter, and polishing only because I didn't want to modify the wiping stick that came with the gun.

It depends on where/ when in the cleaning process it gets stuck.

If I just stick a wet patch down a dirty barrel more than six or eight inches I can just about count on it getting stuck to the point of very difficult to remove. If I start with a clean wet patch, and just go in a couple inches and back out, then in a couple inches deeper, and so on, I can use one patch to remove a great deal of the loose fouling without getting it stuck. I throw that patch, which will be filthy away, and with the next patch I can be more cavalier about the whole thing.

If you are cleaning away, and then the jag just gets stuck at random places in the process, I would start to suspect a barrel or jag abnormality, but if it's on the first pass, I would just change up the process and see if the problem resolves.

These have, on occasion, given me problems.
1702600844169.png

These have worked for me, although I don't think they are HC.
1702600941254.png

Last edited:

Thanks
A rifled barrel has less steel making contact with the patch and jag. A smooth bore makes full contact because it doesn't have rifling.
Use a thinner patch or a smaller jag.

A rifled barrel has less steel making contact with the patch and jag. A smooth bore makes full contact because it doesn't have rifling.
Use a thinner patch or a smaller jag.
I would use a bore brush to see if loosening up the fouling helps. I agree with polishing. I make my jags .04 or more below bore size. Check the size of your bore compared to the jag.

Latest posts

Back