• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

striping a ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I broke the ramrod that came with my Trade Musket, so I am in the process of making another one. I thought it would be neat to add a 'candy stripe' the the ramrod and make it a little more unique. What is the process by which this is done? I've read that you wrap a piece of leather around the ramrod then burn it, but that is all I know. Any hints/tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The string falls off as it burns. Tape it with thin cut masking tape rubbed on hard and tight. Stain with aquafortis, heat, neutralize. Or use any other stain. I think the candy stripe ramrods are later replacements.

What ever you do, don't wrap it with masking tape and then use a torch to give it the stripe. I speak from first hand knowledge that its very easy to end up with a sticky mess!

I am not a fan of candy striped ramrods on guns. However, you are going to be much happier using stains to make those stripes, than in attempting to use fire to burn the rod to make the stripes. Get some of that blue masking tape, that comes off without leaving behind residue, used by painters, to wrap the rod, leaving space in between the strips of tape as wide as you want your stripes to be. Then use a dark stain of your choice to stain the exposed wood. Once it dries and is the darkness you desire, remove the tape, and finish the rod with a lighter stain, and a hand rubbed oil finish to protect the rod from grime and debris.

Use aluminum foil as a mask. Fold it lengthwise to the desired width of the light stripe on the rod and wrap the rod in the foil in a spiral fashion. Use a torch to scorch the rod in between the foil spirals moving the foil down the length of the rod as needed. Rub linseed oil into the rod while it is still warm. Looks great.

I use paul's method except I usually use plastic electrical tape.

Because I like a fairly tight spiral I usually end up cutting the tape about 1/4 inch wide lengthwise and then wrap it leaving about 1/4-3/8 inch of open area.
zonie :)

I only did one and I clamped the propane torch in the padded vise and used my building rest to support the rod turned it freehand in front of the flame (I practiced first). I didn't do it real dark but did a light spiral and gradually kept darkening the spirals. Gave a nice effect with just enough irregularity to look "hand made" and not mechanical. It was not hard to do.

Back