• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

storing bp in a deep freezer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was told to store bp for long periods that to put it in a deep freezer.It would also prevent on exploding in a deep freezer in the event of a fire.Has anyone heard or storing this way?I would think that when you take powder out to go shooting that it would be clumpy with moisture.

I`ve heard of it being stored in an unused Freezer or Refridgerator. Those being insulated would be somewhat Fireproof. Also,the Doors are not securely locked shut and would allow pressure to escape in case of an explosion....

Any cool dry place is fine , lockable is good to , :thumbsup: FIRE PROOF IS BETTER STILL .

Do you keep hairspray, propane bottles, gas cans, model airplanes, ammo, cleaning supplies, glue, paint and oxygen bottles in the freezer too?

Fire burns up but eventually it will bank down. In most fires that are extinguished in time the freezer contents will be intact. In that case so would a plastic cooler, toolbox or a bare can stored in a low room away from flammable stuff..

In a fully involved fire it's gonna go boom regardless, then you going to have firemen dodging chunks of freezer.

Where ever you store it, allow it to vent off in case it ignites. Do not place it where it can build pressure. If it vents off, it is dramatic, but not the danger of confined burning that allows pressure to build.

no reason to store it in your freezer. Moisture is the biggest risk for it to go bad.

snapper

Have you ever read of folks from the 1600's, 1700's or 1800's storing their powder in their deep freezer? Elecricity may have been a problem along with no wiring to keep the freezer running.

Wonder how they stored black powder, most likely hidden under the bed.

An old unplugged one would work fine as a storage cabinet for your BP but storing it in an actual working freezer would not be a good idea because, first of all, it doesn't need to be kept frozen and secondly, you could get condensation in your powder if you opened it before it reached room temp. Just keep the can closed up tightly and keep it stored in a cool and dry environment and it will keep longer than you will.

Naw, back in the day all freezers had long lightning rods. No extension cords needed.

I appreciate your question. When I have over a couple of pounds I realize that it will be an additional hazzard in case of a house fire. When I have 10 pounds or more I get paranoide. I know that confineing it is dangerous and that unlike modern powders it is a explosive! I for one am going to give your idea some thought! Geo. T

Mr Hawken said:
I was told to store bp for long periods that to put it in a deep freezer.It would also prevent on exploding in a deep freezer in the event of a fire.Has anyone heard or storing this way?I would think that when you take powder out to go shooting that it would be clumpy with moisture.

Storing it at room temp is the best idea. Using the freezer is OK so long its not plugged in and the lid is able to open easily from internal pressure. Freezing the powder can cause moisture in the air in the can/bottle to condense and form ice crystals that would then become liquid water when the container warmed.
Opening a bottle of powder that is frozen will promote condensation in the interior as well when fresh warm air enters.

Dan

thanks guys this is just what i was told.I myself made a wooden box that i keep in the basement that is locked up.They are in sealed containers and have never had a problem.

i agree that moisture might be a problem if the freezer was running ... i did know of an alpaca breeder who kept grian in chest freezers (non-functioning, bought at the town dump) because it kept rodents and other critters out of the grain)

i wouldn't keep powder in a running 'fridge either, for fear of condensation, and besides, it would take up room that would otherwise be used for cooling beer.

:rotf:

Latest posts

Back