• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m posting this here bc most of the ppl on the building side would know this answer, I didn’t want every Tom Dick and Harry saying their ideas hahah. So got a jag stuck in my traditions Crockett, broke off the tip. The jag had a tapper and went down into that patient breech we all love and completely broke off. Now I’m thinking I’m going to have to take the breech plug out that way I can get it out but wasn’t sure best route to go. I have a friend who has the tools but was looking to see if there was anything in particular that needs to be done. Also and this is just an idea/ question, would trying to put some powder in the drum and fill that up and try to set off a charge possibly work? Just seeing if someone has done that, I know I’m not the first, or last, Guy to do this hahah

I’m posting this here bc most of the ppl on the building side would know this answer, I didn’t want every Tom Dick and Harry saying their ideas hahah. So got a jag stuck in my traditions Crockett, broke off the tip. The jag had a tapper and went down into that patient breech we all love and completely broke off. Now I’m thinking I’m going to have to take the breech plug out that way I can get it out but wasn’t sure best route to go. I have a friend who has the tools but was looking to see if there was anything in particular that needs to be done. Also and this is just an idea/ question, would trying to put some powder in the drum and fill that up and try to set off a charge possibly work? Just seeing if someone has done that, I know I’m not the first, or last, Guy to do this hahah
Name isn’t Tom, Dick or Harry, so just ignore my response if you want.

If you are still with me, Traditions breeches are a little tricky to remove, but doable. Long before I would consider removing the breech I would explore a couple of options. First, assuming the jag and patch are the only thing in the bore, trickle some powder (the finer the better) into the bolster with the nipple removed, replace the nipple and shoot it out. Remember to reseat the jag before a second attempt if it doesn’t come out the first time. You may want to place a Dixie Cup or similar over the muzzle. The hole in it will tell the jag is out. If you don’t care for that idea, consider compressed air. If still not the correct answer, find a zerk fitting that matches the nipple threads, install the fitting in place of the nipple and pump the jag out with grease.

If none of the above work, may be time to consider breech plug removal.

Name isn’t Tom, Dick or Harry, so just ignore my response if you want.

If you are still with me, Traditions breeches are a little tricky to remove, but doable. Long before I would consider removing the breech I would explore a couple of options. First, assuming the jag and patch are the only thing in the bore, trickle some powder (the finer the better) into the bolster with the nipple removed, replace the nipple and shoot it out. Remember to reseat the jag before a second attempt if it doesn’t come out the first time. You may want to place a Dixie Cup or similar over the muzzle. The hole in it will tell the jag is out. If you don’t care for that idea, consider compressed air. If still not the correct answer, find a zerk fitting that matches the nipple threads, install the fitting in place of the nipple and pump the jag out with grease.

If none of the above work, may be time to consider breech plug removal.
Thank you for the reply! And I was with you all the way, I think I will try to shoot it out first and go from there. Just worried if it doesn’t come out is all but I think it will. I’ll try each idea and I’ll pull the breech last then

Depends on the gun , and if it’s yours. I get something stuck in my own gun that I know what is down there, I’ll shoot it out. A gun brought to me, an old antique, or I got at a store or yard sale? DON’T shoot it out! Could be anything down there, from mud, ball bearings with smokeless powder behind them.

In this case the OP himself broke the jag off. Anyway it looks like he resolved it.
I was pretty sure it hit the tree last night but since it was dark I wasn’t sure but proofs in the pudding

Attachments

• IMG_5955.jpeg
    IMG_5955.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I have blown rags and once a broken worm out by loading a little powder in from the vent after removing the nipple. It sometimes takes several such loads to blow the stuff down range.

Back