• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock duplicating

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varsity07840

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an individual or outfit besides Petcatonica that does 90% inletted stock duplicating?
The stock I want done has an 1 1/4" barrel channel and Petcatonica can't do it.

Thanks,

Duane

Mark Weader, in central PA, can probably do it. He's done a couple for me, including an 1 1/8" barrel channel in a half stock Hawken, and a couple swamped barrel fullstocks. He usually wants the barrel to work with, but may not have to have it--I don't know. Nice guy.

Jack's Mountain Stock Co., Phone #717-543-5370.

He has to have a pattern & the barrel. An old stock is not a pattern, he needs a duplicating pattern. You can make a pattern out of a old stock, but it will ruin the stock for any other use, as it is filled in & solid. And it is normally larger in ALL areas, to give you wood to work down to what the end result will be.
After he shapes the new stock, he does the barrel inlet in the new stock & cuts the RR channel & drills the RR hole.
New stock will be shaped from the butt end & to & including the rear of the lock panels & the forestock will be square from the lock panels to the muzzle end. There will be no inlets other than the barrel will be inlet.

Mark has some patterns, just depends on the rifle. And then you would furnish Your barrel you will use, & that barrel has to fit his pattern, as the pattern is set & he can't modify the pattern just for your application, one time... So if you are using a barrel with a very large breech or very much larger breech than the one his pattern is made for, it will not work as there will not be enough wood left for the lock panels.

Nutherwords, it is not a machine you just put the setting into & it cuts it like a CNC machine. It duplicates off a pattern that is the Exact Shape of what you are trying to make.

Maybe this will give you an idea of what you are dealing with if it is something you are wanting with a special barrel.

Keith Lisle

Keith,
I have to disagree with you. I have watched Dave Keck and Fred Miller duplicate stocks using the original. Without leaving so much as a scratch on them.

Bill

I was talking about Marks procedure & how he explained it to me. How Fred or Dave does it & how their machine is set up, I have no idea. I am sure there are Lots of variations of machines to make stocks on, as people have been making & duplicating stocks for ? 30 years. (I am sure someone will correct me on this as well & say it was 27yrs, 3 mo & 13 days, ? minutes & ? seconds......)

Maybe it depends on what you are requiring.. A EXACT finished stock or a stock for YOU to build a rifle from. :confused: Myself, I have never asked for a Exact Duplication, as I want to build the rifle, not just assemble a rifle such as a GPR. What I have required was a rough shape buttshape, barrel inlet, RR hole drilled.

Fred has made several rough stock shapes & barrel inlets for me, always did a wonderful job, but I didn't ask of the detail of how he did it. to the best of my knowledge, Dave bought all of Freds patterns & machine, if I understand it correctly. Maybe he is doing it the same way, maybe not.

All I know of it how Mark told me he did the ones I have asked for, and the patterns I have used to have stocks made by him. He uses the pattern to rough it out, then does the barrel inlet of the barrel I sent, then does the RR groove & then the RR hole. He did what I have asked, and has done a wonderful job for me as well.

Maybe I have misunderstood all he told me. :idunno: and if so, I apologize for any misinformation I have passed on.

Best answer I can give is call them each and ask them personally, then you have it from the horses mouth.

Keith Lisle

Back