• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel for triggers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to be making some triggers and have a question about the more desirable steels, sizes, etc., for this project.

I've used some cold rolled from the hardware store and it has been only marginal IMO. It's hard and doesn't "work " very well. Fine for trigger plates but not so much for triggers themselves.

I have two ideas on this but seek critique as well as suggestions. First thought was mild sheet metal that could later be case hardened or second, annealed carbon steel that would be easily worked and then heat treated for durability.

If you are making single long rifle triggers you want either cold rolled 1018 or hot rolled, or any low carbon steel. If making set triggers, I would suggest what TDM said.

My single triggers are made from .100 thick cold rolled steel....very easy to peen the trigger shoes. When mounted, the location of the trigger bar that the sear bar contacts has a hardened high speed steel insert soldered in.... high speed steel isn't affected by the soldering temps......Fred

I use cold rolled steel from Lowe's, easy cold forge, I use 1/8" because that is what they have, thinner would be better.

I practiced on a lot of stuff before I put one of my triggers in a gun. The one on the right was my first prototype, I got better on the one on the left.

homemade beck triggers.jpg

I thought my third one was gun worthy.

Trigger plate in finished.jpg

1018 is the correct answer.

Available in all shapes and sizes at SpeedyMetals.Com

To harden, heat 1018 just past dull red for five minutes. Not bright red. And definitely not orange. You don't want to overcook the metal.

I quench is used motor oil. A trigger takes no stress. So no need to temper it. Unless you want to practice tempering.

You CANNOT harden 1018 steel. There is not near enough carbon in it. If you think you have, you are fooling yourself. The only way to harden 1018 is to case harden it. You can cold hammer it and it will work harden, but that is not practical for most projects and it causes brittleness.

Hi,
If you use steel that can be hardened, and even after I case harden mild steel, I temper the trigger to blue. Triggers ARE stressed and the thin lower section of the blade for your finger can break off if brittle.

dave

You CANNOT harden 1018 steel. There is not near enough carbon in it. If you think you have, you are fooling yourself. The only way to harden 1018 is to case harden it. You can cold hammer it and it will work harden, but that is not practical for most projects and it causes brittleness.
1018 can absolutely be hardened. I do it all the time. I did it last week when I made a trigger plate and hardened the threaded area.

The guy wants a simple trigger. Heat treating 1018 the way I described imparts a wear resistance to the 1018. Wear resistance on the trigger pin hole and lubrication will keep that trigger working properly long after every person on the forum is dead.

Can 1018 be hardened through and through for making a knife blade. Nope.

But we're talking triggers. Not knives.

Last edited:
At no point did I ever say it was so hard that it can't be filed. But a file test done to a heat treated piece of 1018 will skip across it much easier than a piece of 1018 that was not heat treated. Increased wear resistance.

Again, we're talking about a trigger that pivots on a pin. We're not talking about frizzens.

But I do appreciate your sarcasm and the backhanded compliment.

I’ve never made a trigger so take this with a grain of salt. But I have worked with annealed 1080 & 1084 steel. They’re fairly easy to work and easy to harden and temper. I’ve worked with 1095 too but it’s not as forgiving. I use these steels for knife making.
The current knife-making thing is really interesting. Having the knowledge about tempering, etc., is fascinating although I don't have the patience to do it myself. There's something good about being able to arm one's self with a self-made knife!

This has been very enlightening. Loads of valuable information. I have tried working with hardware store cold rolled and I don’t care for the 1/8" thickness. I'm leaning toward 3/32" 1075. Reasons, I want a bit thinner and I want to be able to heat treat it. Case hardening seems simple enough but I'm better equipped to harden and temper. I'm also thinking it might be a better choice for set triggers although singles are the immediate project.

I use whatever I have handy. I do not try to beat a trigger shoe into thin stock any more. I have a milling machine. So, I remove stock to make the thin part and start with a piece of material the width of the trigger shoe. For me, it is just faster and neater. I use a lot of hardware store mild steel. It is terrible stuff. I have played with leaded alloy from a junior college machine shop class. It cuts like a dream.

Back