• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steam Cleaning Flintlock Rifle Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfcbuf

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just bought a portable hand held steam cleaner to clean my flintlock rifle after shooting. I witnessed a demonstration how the steam cleaner worked. The rifle was sealed at the touch hole then laid flat on a bench with a slight incline at the butt so the steam and dirty moisture would run out the bore.The Steam cleaner was rigged with a 50 inch plastic surgical tubing attachment that was installed on the steamer's outlet (tubing also had about 4 small holes for steam to escape on each side of the tubing's end). The steam was then forced in the barrel's muzzle as the tubing was drawn in and out of the barrel from breech to muzzle.This was Followed by a few dry patches in the barrel which became too hot to touch without a pot holder. After a few strokes with the tubing and a very short drying time the barrel bore was clean and ready for oiling. Any comments about this method for use on a full stock muzzleloader or even for cleaning a smokeless powder modern revolver would be appreciated.

Clean and easily oiled after done, how ever you get there is the best way. It sounds like its more trouble then my way...for me, but if its ok for you good for you finding it :thumbsup:

Sounds like the person who invented this method had a lot of time on his hands..sounds like too much trouble for the same end result as what I get ..I'll stick to my method. Though a very interesting post and I do thank you for sharing... :thumbsup:

rfcbuf said:
...the barrel which became too hot to touch without a pot holder....

That right there sezz it all for me. Flash rust is such a problem with hot water, I now clean ONLY with room temp or colder water. By flash rust, I mean it rusts so fast when hot that your cleaning patches start coming out rusty before you've finished drying the barrel. Besides that, the way I do it is virtually effortless in producing a squeaky clean barrel. Black powder residue is highly water soluble. You can also use the same positioning strategy for the rifle as you describe for steam cleaning, so that's not something unique.

Nonstarter for me with a capital N.

Some one is always trying to re invent the wheel.

It's still round.......a pretty fancy replacement for water and patches..... And oh what a rust bucket.

Answer to a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe you'll find a good use for that gizmo yet.

I think people tend to over complicate a really simple procedure. I used to think it was a pain to clear but now a pal of cold water, a couple drops of dawn dish soap and about a dozen patches is all it takes. Heck I've already cleaned it by removing the barrel and just putting it in a stream with barrel pointed upstream for a couple mins the dry and oil.

The OP didn't mention flash rust. I think he would have if it had occurred. I have seen a video demonstrating such a device and the dry patches came out white. Something about steam vapor as opposed to liquid water? Hmmm...

Hang on to that steam cleaner, since someday you may get a great deal on a rifle that needs some stock refinishing. Steam works well to remove dents in the wood & to remove absorbed oil.

I have one & it works to remove uncancelled stamps from envelopes and also labels from pill bottles.

I often clean my rifle that way with an Electrolux household steam cleaner that I made a modified fitting for. Mine has a fan tail jet at an angle out the end & works a wonder with no flash rust.
Flash rust can come from crappy water. Use distilled if you feel that there may be a problem.
Clean your gun in any of the other ways first, then use the steamer & have a look at how much more black comes out.
Remember, I speak from using the method.
O.

I had a friend that used to clean his removable T\C Hawken barrel in his dishwasher. Just goes to show ya that being LAZY is the "Mother of Invention" :hmm: :youcrazy:

dishwasher works great for cap and ball revolvers. After all, it's hot water and detergent, which most folk claim is all you need. graybeard

A buddy of mine has one and he used it on my rifle at Friendship a couple of years ago. It was kind of neat, but I do think you will have to be careful with water getting on your stock.

I did not get any flash rust that I can recall.

Fleener

Well..., I prefer to start the cleaning process before I drive home, and to use the steam I'd need a power source to boil up the water, no? No electrical outlets at my range, and none on my car. Now..., maybe if it was some sort of kettle and all you had to do was fire up a can of sterno under it...???

So I rinse the barrel several times then wet patch, then dry patches, followed by some WD-40..., then drive home. At home I use like room temp water and a drop or two of dish soap, repeat the process, and follow with an oil to halt rust.

No need for the steam.

LD

poor guy asked for peoples experience using this thing, not if you thought he should of bought it.

OP: hey look at my new toy.

Responses: your an idiot, I dont use steam, so you should not as well.

cut the guy some slack and dont hijack his thread.

fleener

Well let's face it. This is a hobby about having fun with tinkering with stuff. This is a differ t way to tinker, but it can make him have fun.
I don't think I will get one, but it cleans his gun, and won't hurt it so more power to him.
I don't think him an idiot, I don't think any of the posters do think so.
If you pass a jug around a fire, people will take a swieg.

I agree, I am assuming most posters do not think he is an idiot. I was trying to make a point.

However, just cause the jug is passed, you dont have to take a drink every time.

My point is that a large percentage of the post in most threads are not on topic.

Some people think they have to have a comment for every thread when it adds no value. I try to ask myself if I am adding value when I post. If I cant add value, I try not to post.

I realize that this forum is a way for people to socialize, and for some it might be one of their few opportunities. Perhaps their buddies at home are tired of listening to them.

Not trying to step on toes or hurt feelings, but if you dont add value to the question asked, why post?

Fleener

If we take the computer out of it and think of a real fire we would kick around points of view. It would be a free form conversation. It will meander. What one person sees as part of the conversation another may think be off base. We're not writing dissertations here. We're just kicking around ideas.
" One mans theology is a another mans belly laugh"

Back