• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

start of the 100.00 pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well got my barrel and stock in yesterday and i decided i could not go with a straight barrel.so i put it in the lathe and made it about a 2\3 round to octagonal. It should really help with the weight and it is swamped, but in the done picture it is hard to tell. I am not buying nothing else for this gun but a lock and maybe a trigger guard.I will need to draw file the back part to get the scratches out, but i think i am going to just polish it and let it patina over or blue and knock it back with steel wool. But i have a long way to go before i worry about that. the stock is supposed to be a ++p but i dont know? mike miller is sending me a pattern for this gun. very nice of him... i will take better pictures later.
DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0722.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

I need a lathe so bad it hurts! Beautiful work.

edit, just noticed the mill in the back ground. Green with envy.

ok here is the deal, this is what i done first at the end of the round part.
DSC_0724.jpg

so i changed it to this and took a little off the octagon part. I was going to file it anyway.
DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0729.jpg

anybody have any suggestions?

I think your transition from round to octagon is a bit abrupt. I would put a wedding band in there to break it up. These are easy to do if you grind a simple cutter out of a high speed blank and clean up carefully with needle files. Otherwise it looks nice.

i agree it does need a wedding band. you got a picture of what the bit needs to look like. I have a idea but not real sure.

IMAG0057.jpg

This is a barrel I did for my current project Haha, you are lucky that you have.access to a lathe! I for this with files and lbelt sanders belts of which the sander is long lost.

If you just use a standard blank and use a hand grinder to put a half round cutout in it (with plenty of relief and than chamfer the corners for clearance this will do the job. You won't be cutting very fast with it, it actually acts more like a scraper, but it will do a nice job. I have a couple around I will try to get a photograph of them and post when I get a chance.

Well i worked on my stock alitle tonight seems to be going well, hope to get the barrel inlet tomorrow.
DSC_0738.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

am i killing you guys with pictures...lol

well here comes some screw ups. Was using a round scraper that was not tall enough and was hitting the top of the stock and rolled the corners....great other than that it was going good. Well i may use acuglass on it. a round to square barrel is a pain. do you think the barrel is deep enough?
DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0743-1.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0759.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

I agree.
It should be a little over 1/2 buried in the wood.

Even if it is too deep at this stage, when the stock is being finished having some extra wood to remove is a good thing.

Folks should remember, if it isn't deep enough now, it ain't going to get any deeper as the wood is being removed to get its final shape.

I was out looking at it awhile ago and it defiantly needs to go deeper. thanks guys

Back