• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial is Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was able to to finish the rifle up for the weekend. It came out far better than I had expected. Was much easier than I expected and best of all it is beautiful. Very elegant yet simple.

I draw filed and finished the barrel with oxpho blue and rubbed it back until a gray color. I polished up and antiqued all the brass the same 0000 steel wool and the lock is polished up to 0000 steel wool and finished the same way as the barrel. I used Permalyn sealer on the stock as per the directions. Five coats in total I closing the first heavy application. Each one rubbed back with steel wool. I used Kiblers iron nitrate and a heat gun for the staining of the stock. It’s an “extra fancy” grade maple and really is gorgeous.

I put about thirty rounds through it today and not an issue. The lock is fast. Very fast in fact. So fast that a slow motion video shows the main charge igniting before the pan was done.

Accuracy is great. At 50 yards I can put every round inside a 2”dot off a rest. Not bad given I’m terrible with flintlock shooting. I am shooting 70gr of FFFg under a .490 ball and a pillow ticking patch lubed with deer tallow from a deer I killed last fall in archery.

The pics I’ve taken with my phone are too large to upload so I have to get a lower resolution set to post here.

If you have the main charge going off before the pan is done you have things absolutely perfect.

The Doc is out now. 😎

Back