• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sportered Besses?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We've all seen Besses with barrels shortened, but it occurs to me I have never seen one with forend cut all the way back to a half stock with some sort of rib forward of the cut, yet we see cut-down 1842s and Civil War Springfields so modified long ago. Anyone seen one? I wonder how they handle as a utility smoothbore. One of the Indian guns might make a good test bed.

Just some thoughts, maybe someone did such a thing. Bess like arms, officers fusils were manufactured by private companies for private purchase. And the UK sent tons of besses to arm the Mexican army, some of these got in to private use as we know a band of outlaws was caught by the Texas rangers and disarmed. They had old besses among their arms
But I would hazzard if it was done it would be very rare. The stock profile fell out of favor and guns faced a lot of change.
A rib would have to be custom made and put on. This back in the day would have been hired gunmakes work. A farmer or frontiesman wouldn’t have had the tools necessary
A cracked forestock might be removed then pipes could be soldered directly to the barrel, leaving a pipe off and letting the rod bend a little
Of note was some New England guns that had wooden underribs, and such a thing could be made with minimal tools.
If we can’t point to an historic gun know that had such a modification that’s meaningless in of itself. A guy with a busted fore arm could have modified his gun to be workable. It would be a one off, and the back story to it isn’t off the wall. I cracked my forestock and fixed it thus, ain’t to hard to swallow

Back