• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

speaking of corn bread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Corona mill. From Columbia, I got it off Ebay with an extra set of plates, new, for $30.
Don't think you will get too far with a mortar.
Screwed it down to a piece of 3/4 birch plywood, another piece under with two 3/8 bolts and wing nuts. It clamps to the end of my countertop on the kitchen island.

Ames said:
When I harvest by the bushel it goes to the ducks that lay my eggs. How much corn can one man eat, anyway?
You sound like a brother-in-law of mine. He raised a field of corn every year, kept a mule to plow, disk, harrow and plant the corn, then to pull an old wagon to harvest the corn. I was there at harvest time, one year, and we were walking beside the wagon, pulling the ears by hand and tossing them in. I asked him where he sold his corn, he said he never sold any, or ground any, that they ate some of it when it was green, but it was really grown only to feed the mule, which he kept only to work the corn. He was a great friend to that old mule, and loved growing corn. I guess that's what is meant by a closed system, 'eh?

Spence

My Uncle Jack, at one point long ago, was running eight 800 gallon submarines. = He kept a lot of farmers busy & made any number of them rich growing enough corn & providing firewood to keep his operation going.
(Raising swine & "white likker" was our family's main source of income for 3 centuries.)

yours, satx

Hey Ames,
Do you make anything other than corn bread out of your corn?

Also, do you seed save? This will be my 3rd year for the bloody butcher and will select for desirable traits.

Grits, cornbread and sausage stuffing with cranberries, fish batter, and how do I post this....ummm :v ...lawnmower fuel squeezins? By the mason jar. :rotf:
Was a member of seed savers exchange till I saw that the 50 thousand members they had was closer to 825. Never went back. Shame too. I had isolated a strain of beans and named them. These would produce a pound of dry beans per 8 plants. You could feed an army. In my years of disgust with them I let the strain die out. Never gave away any seeds to get back from another grower. My bad. Thought it would last another year in the freezer before it lost its virility.

Fwiw, this thread made me so hungry when reading it that I actually made cornbread last PM & had "a BIG OLE HUNK" with butter, nearly as soon as it came out of the oven.

Cornbread is one of my favorite things.
(Supper tonight was fried chicken, homemade mashed potatoes & cornbread with butter. = YUM.)

yours, satx

Bloody butcher lawn mower fuel.... :haha: :thumbsup:

I was once given a small bag of Asian flat beans....Those things produced like crazy....You could reach at the vine blindfolded and with a single grab you could fill your hand.....anywhere, from the ground to the top of the 6 foot trellis...Sadly I let them go too.... :shake:

Beans- I've grown 76 varieties and saved the seed from most. You can chase your tail doing that kind of thing.
Corn- Caught me off guard. I forgot the best recipe and Satx reminded me of it. Buttermilk cornmeal waffles. Makes great chicken and waffles with real Maine maple syrup.
Buttermilk, cornmeal, flour, sugar, touch of real vanilla, melted bacon grease, jalapenos optional, and duck eggs, separated. The whites get folded in last after beating to form stiff peaks. :v

chicken and waffles with real Maine maple syrup?

Sounds too much like the yogurt cinnamon baked chicken my ex wife made in her experimenting days. When it came to the kitchen, she needed a passport because it was foreign territory. There is a saying about the thing worse than a wife who can cook and won't, is a wife that can't cook and does. She was definitely the latter.

that they ate some of it when it was green

I gathered some dry, field corn to test, from plots on Maryland Public Hunting Land (I think they used it to feed police horses, and livestock at historic farms). Found out that it parched well, but that it has waaaay too much cellulous fiber for the human stomach. Went through me like a dose-of-salts. :shocked2: :shake:

LD

nhmoose said:
Ames said:
I got it good! My wife cant cook and wont try to! :rotf:
Consider yourself lucky, my wife and mother were from Maine and thought they could cook. Boil maybe cook NO! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
My mother grew up in New England. I think from puritan stock. I'm sure they believed flavor in food was a sin. My dad did come rom a family with some rich traditions for tasty food. And was teaching me to cook young. By the time I was ten I was cooking at least once a week, By teenager most every night. I think my dad did it in self defense :wink:

Actually Puritans were English & other than pub food, there's not much to eat there.

One of my "pet theories" is that "The Sun never sets on the British Empire" because people with taste-buds went out looking for something GOOD to eat.
(I have to tell you that some of the best chicken green curry that I've had anyplace was in Liverpool at The White Tiger. = East Indian owned of course!)

yours, satx

Bangers and mash, bubble and squeak, spotted dick, hasty pudding, it all sounds rather strange. Tried scones for the first time last week. Sort of like a stale slightly sweet dense biscuit.

I'm PA Dutch. we have such oddities as scrapple, mush, pudding (a disgustingly greasey loaf of congealed coarsely ground fat, skin, tongue and organ meat.) pickled tripe (imagine some bread and butter pickles made of extra chewey cold beef stomach.) Pickled pigs feet, Woswit, a hot bacon and not quite cooked runny egg dressing to put over lettuce. But then we have treasures, like Lebanon Bologna, ring bologna, shoo fly pie, potato cake.

Back