• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source of nice Lehigh rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonKenton

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A few months ago somebody posted a picture of a really nice Lehigh Valley (Rupp?) with either a curly cherry or reddish stained curly maple stock. It had some carving a bit of wire inlay. I was wondering who had built that one.

Ray

John Donelson built mine - a Rupp style but in flame cherry with swamped 44", .54 cal. L.C. Rice barrel. It's iron mounted - no evidence Rupp ever did such a thing and it was my request, but I really like the look.

HPIM2731.jpg

HPIM0429.jpg

HPIM0426.jpg

HPIM1728.jpg

JDinshop.jpg

More images of her on his website.
http://www.donelsoncustommuzzleloaders.com/longarms.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen Martin is the best of the best. Here's his site http://www.allenmartinrifles.net/ I own three of his guns, including his 1999 best of show at Dixon's, Known as the "Flyrod" for it's custom A weight 38 cal. barrel, and also one I'm trading back for a new build in 52 Cal. with a 52" barrel Late Ketland Chambers lock, and a lot of chip, and incised carving. Allen's guns have to be rated up with Eric Kettenburg, Hershel, and Frank House, and a couple of humble guys on this site.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE the Schreit rifle. Looks good for early Revolutionary period and not out of place in F&I being simpler than some.

Ray

A Rupp, for me, would be a .32 caliber "A" weight with a 44" swamped Rice barrel. Good squirrel gun for walking the woods. The Schreit would be something a Colonial militia rifleman might have carried at the start of hostilities.

Ray

I would post some pics of a Rupp I made for the Rocky Mountain nationals a few years ago, but photobucket is requiting "more information' and it seems to be getting a bit invasive so I don't use them anymore. Is that anyone out there that can show me another way to post pics on this site?

I have to second Allen Martin as the master of the art of LeHigh rifle craftsmenship. Over a year ago, I had an opportunity to acquire one of his earlier (#49) rifles, which had been a collectors 'cabinet queen' for over twelve years and had never seen a ball or powder charge. After close consult with Allen at Dixon's, I swore to shoot it - and what a shooter she is!-.50 cal, 47 in Getz tapered and flared barrel, superb hard curly maple stock with Allen's especially talented raised carving and a silver Allentown style cheekpiece hunter's star. A keyholeing shooter at 35-40 yards. A contemporary longrifle masterpiece by him - certainly expensive, but what craftsmanship isn't,these days. Save for a while, then indulge yourself for a lifetime heirloom rifle!!

I'd like a Rupp with a 44" Rice "A" weight in either .32 or .36 but I think that's a flimsy barrel for a .36 maybe? In CT you have to have no larger than .36 for small game but a .40 would make a GREAT varmint and long range (100 yd) rabbit gun. A .36 might tend to tear up the tree rats so I think maybe .32 for a "woods walking gun" to take the odd bushytail.

As for the Schreit I would have that in .50 with a "B" weight Rice barrel about 42 or 44" long as an early American long rifle of the late F&I or early Revolutionary period. I can see one of Dan Morgan's riflemen with a Schreit.

Ray

Simon,

The Lehigh is a very difficult rifle to capture. The architecture is quite unique. No straight lines, lots of differing arcs. I've built several. Allen Martin is the best. He is also my mentor and advisor. NO ONE does a Lehigh like Mr Martin.

If you'd like, I can send some photos of some of my work, and you can make the call your self. Let me know.

Dane,
Please post some pictures here. We all like to see good work.

I am working on posting a few myself, but I am not very "cyber smart" so I have a lot of problems with the computer. I am working on it now.

Neither, the Killdeer was an abomination that followed tangents from the Lehigh style. Allentown and Lehigh kind of covers the same territory. There were dozens of builders in that area called Lehigh's .
DSC00214.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

THAT is sweet!! It would make a great pure deer rifle with a "B" weight Rice barrel in .50 caliber. I like the ones with the classic Rupp patchboxes too. I have recently come to appreciate the elegance of form following function and grace of that school. I do still love my Appalachian Bean rifle though and want a nice early Dickert some day. The Dickert's are not clumsy or unwieldy but he used HEAVY barrels.

Ray

Latest posts

Back