• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

some beginner's lessons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpdejunco2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello to all from Wisconsin.
My first post.

I started muzzleloader shooting a while ago and have been learning lessons the slow, hard way, by bad experience. I bought a .50 "Hawkens" style percussion rifle from Cabela's (I think Investarms made it), which actually shoots pretty well, better than my eyes will allow. And although it is not an actual Hawken rifle, it was all my budget would allow.

First when I was cleaning the rifle at home I made the mistake of using a .50 bronze bore brush and having the brass end come off the ramrod with the brush on it while inside the rifle. Fortunately the brass end had not broken off the rod, it just came off. I was able to put gorilla glue on the end of the rod and re-insert it into the brass end and after 24 hours of drying and praying I was able to pull it out as one piece. What a relief! Now I use a .45 brush and patch, and make sure the rods have cross pins in them, and use a range rod.

Today I made the mistake, after shooting one round, of using the ramrod to put in a clean dry patch to clean out the initial fouling and getting the rod stuck. End of shooting session- I had to go home and put a jag on the end and use a wrench and hammer to pound it out. Of course I had a range rod with me but hadn't used it. And I didn't have a hammer or wrench with me at the range.

Sometimes muzzleloaders can be frustrating, usually due to my inexperience. I also shoot modern cartridge rifles, shotguns and revolvers, but muzzleloaders offer an experience from an earlier time in history that still wants me to go back.

Thanks to everyone who posts their experiences- I hope to learn from others and maybe not make as many mistakes firsthand.

I have definitely made those mistakes. I think most of us have at one point or another. Haven't had the good fortune of losing a brush in the bore, but I'm still young haha.

One thing that I got that made a big difference in my bad luck and lack of relative knowledge and skill was a CO2 discharger. That thing has saved a shooting day or two. I've used it for both dry balling and getting a patch stuck. It's certainly not historically correct, but will save a lot of headache and you'll still learn from mistakes

I am not so far away from being a beginner and making the same mistakes.
I have learned, but still can be distracted by talking to someone and losing track if I had put powder in before the patch and ball. I MUST focus!
Ron

Well if not mistaken, you put a DRY patch down a DIRTY bore? End if shooting (for a while). No need to go home. Next time just put a bit of water or beer :shake: :shocked2: down the barrel and let that patch get good n wet and pull it out. When ya use a patch between shots make sure its at least damp! A dry patch in a dirt bore don't often come out easy and usually leads to foul language. As none of here use that type of potty mouth talk we quickly learn not to use a DRY patch to swipe the bore with. But we all do it and then dry ball too, (but NONE of us use potty mouth). :rotf:

Yes, as Azmntman stated, pour water down the barrel onto the dry patch & it won't be dry any longer & it will soften up & pull out easy.
This pouring water in guns thing put the cringe on me for a while because it seemed to go against my grain of learning. It is all good now that I have accepted the fact that the cheapest & best bore solvent for BP is water.
O.

Thanks, I learned the lesson you all have been kind enough to point out the answer, just simple water- although I put in some bore solvent at first, and later water.
I have to admit here was some fouling both in the barrel and some outside too, probably more outside than in. ;) Not my finest moment.

You have found the best tool a beginner can have for muzzleloading, right here, this forum! Where else can be found thousands of years of combined experience right at your fingertips and free for the asking? :thumbsup:
Welcome to the forum.
While the members can be crotchety, cantankerous old cusses, they're really a great bunch of folks that are more than happy to offer advice on anything and everything related to muzzleloading. :hatsoff: to 'em! I know I've learned a lot more than I ever knew there was to know since I signed on here.

Gijon1974 said:
Hello to all from Wisconsin.
My first post.

I started muzzleloader shooting a while ago and have been learning lessons the slow, hard way, by bad experience. I bought a .50 "Hawkens" style percussion rifle from Cabela's (I think Investarms made it), which actually shoots pretty well, better than my eyes will allow. And although it is not an actual Hawken rifle, it was all my budget would allow.

First when I was cleaning the rifle at home I made the mistake of using a .50 bronze bore brush and having the brass end come off the ramrod with the brush on it while inside the rifle. Fortunately the brass end had not broken off the rod, it just came off. I was able to put gorilla glue on the end of the rod and re-insert it into the brass end and after 24 hours of drying and praying I was able to pull it out as one piece. What a relief! Now I use a .45 brush and patch, and make sure the rods have cross pins in them, and use a range rod.

Today I made the mistake, after shooting one round, of using the ramrod to put in a clean dry patch to clean out the initial fouling and getting the rod stuck. End of shooting session- I had to go home and put a jag on the end and use a wrench and hammer to pound it out. Of course I had a range rod with me but hadn't used it. And I didn't have a hammer or wrench with me at the range.

Sometimes muzzleloaders can be frustrating, usually due to my inexperience. I also shoot modern cartridge rifles, shotguns and revolvers, but muzzleloaders offer an experience from an earlier time in history that still wants me to go back.

Thanks to everyone who posts their experiences- I hope to learn from others and maybe not make as many mistakes firsthand.

Here is a video I made I hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

Who is crotchety and cantankerous? Not me, you old windbag!! :haha:
By the way, if anyone is drinking beer and shooting at a range, I won't be there.

I have found its good to make a kit to bring to the range that has basic stuff range rod, jag, patches, cleaning supplies, and a bullet puller. If your like me my range is a little bit of a drive from my house. Its no fun to turn around and drive home. :hatsoff:

I dont shoot at ranges myself, only one within 100+ miles and its alot further than my place in the woods and no range master, drunks, liberals or such anywhere near! I suspect once there was some liberals but when I started shooting they took off like a rocket before I could determine they're political standing :grin:

Leave the bronze bore brushes at home. In a muzzleloader they tend to lock up in the barrel when the reach bottom because the bristles can't flip around like they would in a breech loader.

Most old original shooting pouches simply carried patches, powder, ball, a flint, a screw driver. Leave the rest at home. Use spit for a lube. Get a patch/ball combination that is loose enough to load without a short starter. You may be able to shoot all day without ever having to clean if the weather is favorable.

Don't over think it. Have fun.

If you do use a metal brush, make sure you twist it sideways so the bristles don't have to reverse themselves when pulled back up. I myself, when I use one, use a well worn one so it's not so tight.

Don't over think it. Have fun.

Best advice out there. :thumbsup:

And Many Klatch lives by it too. I can vouch for him. He's one of the 2 main "bad influences" that got me as deep into this "hobby" as I am. :haha: :hatsoff:

azmntman said:
I dont shoot at ranges myself, only one within 100+ miles and its alot further than my place in the woods and no range master, drunks, liberals or such anywhere near! I suspect once there was some liberals but when I started shooting they took off like a rocket before I could determine they're political standing :grin:
Not all Liberals are against guns....I have spent range time shooting with liberals, and have found them to be some of the nicest and most courteous people to spend range time with.....But then I don't prejudge them or treat them like an enemy.
Instead I befriend them and convert them into happy gun owners.
It's amazing how people can get along once you remove the fear and conflict imposed by others.

Mooman76 said:
If you do use a metal brush, make sure you twist it sideways so the bristles don't have to reverse themselves when pulled back up. I myself, when I use one, use a well worn one so it's not so tight.

This is the point many don't seem to understand. Once the brush is at the bottom twist it a little bit and it will come right out no problem. I have never got a brush stuck in about 40 years of using them.
Another thing is using a rod that is either solid or pinned.

This forum has helped me tremendously. Thousands of years of experience and knowledge to be passed along here! :hatsoff:

I won't drink and shoot.....never, I have enough issues with dry balling, klatches and misfires, I don't need to add to my woes..... :wink:
I agree with what others have said about this forum being a PLETHORA of information, as it has helped me out so very much over the years.

Latest posts

Back