• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So you want a long rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Note, The header did not say; So you want to build a longrifle.
A good longrifle is expensive. Some consider it a "Once in a Lifetime" type purchase. For that type of purchase I recommend custom. If you can save $1000 in a year you can save $2500 or more in two or three. You will be more happy with the result. That is if it's a lifetime type purchase.

One of the most important factors is research. Research the type of rifle or gun you want. Go see originals if possible, go to shows and handle contemporary work. Make notes. Research builders and their feedback.

When it finally comes to ordering be armed with knowledge.

Instead of " I wanna Rev War Rifle."

Discuss, I would like a early type longrifle like a Lancaster with possible Valley of Virginia influence.
Very much like RCA 114 known as the Free Born.
The Chambers Early Ketland is identical to the I Daykin lock on the original. Davis makes some slant back or Jaeger triggers that look identical and David Keck has furniture very close to the style. I want a 44"bbl. Your thoughts and price of such a rifle.

Be prepared for a conversation. The builder may have other options in mind. If you can tell he really has no clue or you get the B.S. vibe seek elswhere.

Builders hate to turn down work. One way of turning down work but not, is pricing it very high.
Like, that rifle will cost you $7000 with no carving. Seek elsewhere.

Building your own. Its human nature to think we can do what someone else does through natural talent or years of training.
That's why American Idol is so popular. It's almost instictive to price a rifle and think, "Hey I can build my own."

Maybe you can. There are some folks that can do anything.
They can build "one" rifle that is as good any custom or for that matter original. After that they move on and may never build another because they've been there and done that.
Some of the great historic mystery rifles; I wonder if were built by such folks, like a talented blacksmith who built just one.

Most people have to learn by doing. Their first efforts are not so good. After a few builds they turn out fine rifles.

These folks build because they like to build, not to save money.
Counting all the tools, time, parts and supplies; if you want a longrifle you will not save money by building one.
If you want to learn building by all means build. Saving money should not be the motovation.

Buying used. You can save some dough by buying used. Since parts are so expensive you can find good deals on decent rifles built by new builders to finance thier next project.
Sometimes you can find these slightly flawed rifles for the cost of parts. Some can be quite good. Imagine having Heshal House or Jim Chambers # 3.

In summary if you want a nice rifle save up and buy it.

If you want to build because you want a nice rifle, save up and buy one finished.

If you want to lean a skill that at times can be stressful, labor intensive and expensive but very rewarding, by all means build.

A lot folks who are new, or are considering building post here.

I thought it would be a good fit as I discuss the building and or puchase of a rifle.

If it's deemed not relevant for the "Bench", I'm sure a moderator will move it.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Could not have said it better, myself!
:hatsoff:

Funny but there's nothing I can disagree with there, lol. Well thought out advice for those who want something special, whether that is a period-based piece or a contemporary rifle.

GOOD POST!
BUILDING rifles is one of my few pleasures~the time I spend in the shop with my kat, wood shavings and tools is MY time~I have a day job....but like alot of folks here...I enjoy building!
In fact,I spent this morning working on Baxter's sliding PB, and 'thinning' more...his rifle will soon be done, and, I have another stock, and as soon as my 'burton barrel' gets done...it will be my next rifle~
and I just got from my Amish brothers, 3 maple blanks to be drying~and I still have cherry and walnut blanks ready to go... :youcrazy:
soo.....
but one comment~you will need to be patient when asking someone to make one of these....these rifles are made one at a time, by hand, parts are fitted, filed, sometimes made from scratch~ there is no China made flinters! :grin:
but when you get her in your hands.....you KNOW it's not a 'off the shelf' item!!!! :thumbsup:

Going out on a limb here, but from my own experience, it takes more patience and research than skill to complete a rifle. The skill is in mastering the patience. :grin:

Back