• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive got a JRA 2 band 69 smoothie that i hope to shoot in NSSA but it shoots low and left how do i correct some of this other than holding off a mile? Any help appreciated

I'm unfamiliar w/this musket , but if it has a front barrel band , a new filable , front sight can be soldered onto the top of the band. To bring the hits up on target , file the sight down , to lower the hits , use a taller piece of metal for the sight. To move the hits left/right , center punch the new position and remove and resolder the sight metal. Tedious , but works good.

Bend the barrel. That's how this problem was solved for the last 300 years.

Barrel straightening fixture.jpg

NO sight modifications are allowed for smoothbore competition. I have found the front bands sometimes have a poor fit and can be twisted a little and shimmed with cardboard to make things better. Otherwise, bending the barrel is your only other option.

Once a new front sight is inatalled on your barrel band , a 1/8 " allen screw tightened from barrel band to barrel willhold all in place.

Bend the barrel. That's how this problem was solved for the last 300 years.

... and here I thought you guys were just giving a newbie a hard time (as per usual for The Evil One), but I guess the joke is on me, 'cuz I googled it, and it's for real.

Back