• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore for deer and smale game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegard_dino

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all

I am seeking to start with muzzleloading guns. I am a hunter now, using modern guns...Sorry.

But, what to go for?
A smoothbore for smale game with shots and round balls for deer, boar, is that a good first choice?
Also, I am thinking percussion or flintock....??

The hunting I am doing in Norway will be birds, hare and roe deer. So, the roe deer is the ONLY game that will be needing a round ball. But, will a smoothbore give me the accuracy I need? I have been reading about hunters who use that for ALL game, but they are not beginners like me........ :confused:

All help and information is good
Thanks all

Smoothy's are cool! Welcome to the site.

Don't know if your limited to gauge or not but a .62 smoothbore would fit the bill nicely. One can become proficiant with a smoothbore at 50, 75 yards or in your case meters, which would be fine in most deer hunting situations. Shot for small game should be fine out to 25 yards
plus or minus a couple of yards. Some guys are having fun with .58 cal smoothbores as well. :thumbsup:

I think a 20 ga would be a good all arround piece, The ball with a patch should group well at 50yrds, The piece can be made to be light with a light recoil soo it wont beat you to death and its cheaper to shoot than a 12ga.

Flint can be great if tuned, but it can come with its own set of challenges but I love it for that.

A percussion is hardly faster than a flintlock but its less prone to misfires but it can still happen.....

But the choice is yours, get what feels right for you.

Flint .62 or better, barrel no less than 40 inches is my choice!
If God wanted men to shoot Caps, he would of spread them all over the ground Light, fast, and well ballanced
Deadly for anything you point it at
Deutsch

These guys have you covered. Nothing is better - other than two guns - than a .62 smoothbore for the hunting you mentioned.

Smoothbore for sure...and if I'm correct in the average size of Roe deer, a .62cal ball would be huge for that...I know dead is dead...but then the cost of practicing year round might be a consideration.

On the other hand, a .54cal ball out of a .54cal/.28ga smoothbore would be more than enough for Roe deer...with almost rifle-like accuracy pushed with a full head of steam to the 50-60yd range I use mine at...have taken several 125-150lb whitetail deer here at average woods distances of 40-50yds.

And I've shot some skeet targets, squirrels (and even a crow) with shot loads out of the .28ga...whatever size you decide, they are definitely a versatile firearm for a lot of different hunting...

:thumbsup:

You're getting good advice. I'll add a couple of insights from my recent experience with a 62 caliber Green Mountain smoothbore barrel on a TC Renegade.

Call it lack of experience shooting round ball from a smoothbore, but I found it easiest to shoot well with front and rear sights. But I also found the rear sight a distraction on moving targets with shot. Since the rear sight can be removed, I take it off for hunting with shot, and put it back on when using round ball. Obviously I'm not doing both on the same hunt.

BTW- I tried shooting round balls with the rear sight removed. More practice required before I'd use it without a rear sight on game at 50 yards. Much more practice! :rotf:

thumbsup: .
Something around 32" barrel Percussion in the English style.
If not wrong, you will be hunting ptarmigan ? You need something quick swinging on flushing birds...

Twice

BrownBear said:
But I also found the rear sight a distraction on moving targets with shot. Since the rear sight can be removed, I take it off for hunting with shot, and put it back on when using round ball.

Another approach that's easy to use is a tip from member Articap several years ago about the rear sight on a smooth rifle and I've used it ever since.

Just cut / stick a small piece of tape across the back side of the rear sight so it covers up the notch...then just use the rear sight as if its a "rib" on a modern shotgun with the front bead just sitting on top...instant sight acquisiton, works great.

Also...at the end of he day, if you want to pull the shot load, seat a PRB and sit for deer during that last hour, just peel the tape off.

roundball said:
BrownBear said:
But I also found the rear sight a distraction on moving targets with shot. Since the rear sight can be removed, I take it off for hunting with shot, and put it back on when using round ball.

Another approach that's easy to use is a tip from member Articap several years ago about the rear sight on a smooth rifle and I've used it ever since.

Just cut / stick a small piece of tape across the back side of the rear sight so it covers up the notch...then just use the rear sight as if its a "rib" on a modern shotgun with the front bead just sitting on top...instant sight acquisiton, works great.

Also...at the end of he day, if you want to pull the shot load, seat a PRB and sit for deer during that last hour, just peel the tape off.

Brilliant! I'll be right on that one.

Thanks!

Well, first of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

We really, truly are happy to have you here. :grin:

It would seem to me that you have a pretty good attitude for someone starting out with muzzleloading guns and will do very well in this hobby. :hatsoff:

For maximum flexibility, I would agree with those who have recommended a smoothbore for you. I would recommend a 20-gauge (.81) for maximum flexibility.

Hopefully you will receive other recommendations too, but if not please keep coming back until you get the information you want. This group really truly wants to help you and learn from you, so please do stay with us.

As far as Norway - been there briefly and count myself very lucky for the experience. LOVE your country and hope to hear more from you.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Spot. Mind sharing yout thoughts why the 20 guage offers Maximum flexibility over all other guages. Never heard that before.
Thanks.
Twice.

You are getting some great advice here on the forum as what might be a good rifle to use for hunting. A smoothbore of the Fowler type will be more versatile especially since you will be hunting fowl and hare. As to the deer well it may just be up to you on the optimal size round ball you wish to use. There is always the option to use a buck and ball charge. I don't know about Norwegian hunting laws and regulations but that may be a good place to start with your research.

As to your question with the percussion or flint I would say it is another very personal decision. I have both and have always been drawn to the flintlocks. If you plan to use it primarily for hunting at least in the beginning a caplock might suit you well with less aggrivation. The last time I was in Narway I experienced a lot of rain, so with a flintlock it's definately much more work than a percussion in inclimate weather. I would say you might just get together with some experienced black powder hunters in your area and try both the percusion and flintlock out to see what appeals to you. By the way welcome to the forum. Always nice to have a fellow Scandinavian aboard........... :hatsoff:

Hello and thanks all for helping me.
First, here in Norway it is legal to hunt roe deer with buck shots and also round ball, so I was thinking about a smoothbore. Where I hunt, there is thick forest, short range shorts at around a max of 50 meters for the deer. Small game will be wood cock, black birds, hare, western capercaillie and some ducks.

So, if I load with shots, and then spot a deer, can I just load a round ball on top of the shots? No need to pull the shots?(Stupid me asking....) :confused: )

So, yes, the cost is a part to take in mind when it comes to practice at the range. So, a .62 cal is maybe to "big" for me and my need. A 28 gauge is giving me the load, power, needed for deer? Also IF I take the gun to the US for deer, wild boar?

A 28-gauge will be plenty for deer or wild boar with a roundball.

As for placing a roundball on top of shot, that isn't normally recommended and wouldn't be legal where I hunt.

Spot

Thanks for the reply.

CAn I ask why it is not recommended to place a round ball on top of the shot load?

For what you have in mind, it might not be too bad as long as you know where that ball is going. However, one bad shot and you could pepper the deer with shot while missing with the ball.

What I was referring to is "buck and ball" loads - 3 or 4 buckshot with a roundball. For hunting, it's not so good because if you miss with the ball, those few .30 or so balls aren't enough to consistently kill large game. If you hit with the ball, the buckshot is not needed.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Vegard Dino said:
Understand you.
Thanks for the reply
In my personal opinion, once you add "ducks" to the equation...at least here in the U.S. where non-toxic shot must be used which usually requires a protective shot cup to prevent damage to the bore...the .28ga won't hold a large enough shot charge of good sized pellets to reliably get the job done on ducks.

My suggestion is to really, really think through exactly what you'll be hunting 99% of the time...you may find that the range of game you want to go after is simply too broad to be served by a single firearm.

For example, if you really only went duck hunting 1-2 time a year, to select a smoothbore on that basis might make it overkill for everything else and unless money is no object, might make it very expensive to shoot and enjoy year round at the range, etc.

But if you're going to duck hunt a lot, then you might be better off with a .12 or .10ga for that...and then get a smaller .28ga smoothbore or a .40/.45/.50cal rifle for year round range shooting and/or small game use.

Having more than one Flintlock is not a bad thing...
:grin:

Back