• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slugging Pietta 1858 Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats how a good gun should be, but your right thats just one more issue with these reproductions is the small spot at the forcing cone.

I could do it the other way i guess but i still think ide see gaps even at the choked part.

These things are good enough really for what most people do with them. But its just more fun tinkering with em and getting them super accurate.

I havnt got any new shooters who have decided to try BP at my gun range that i know of but many are impressed with how accurate they are for being such an old design.

So, Got the Reamer in, what should I set my reamer for? .453?

Melnic said:
slugged mine today
Took a .457 ball, some grease and dowel
Black lines on the lands recesses are from me marking with a sharpie
Measured the cylinder with calipers.
I guess I could drive a ball down, then push it out and measure that to double check it.
75280A01-4860-42C6-B2E1-3A8B7476E2D5_zpsepjutmrk.jpg

C9FAEFBD-481F-491B-B1FF-B6BE1320733E_zps3c0sztzr.jpg

9F4F3043-0179-4EFC-96CC-9D89924DC52C_zps3ymyqbcf.jpg

mikewinn said:
Thanks Claude. After talking to someone else I think I'll forgo slugging the barrel. Apparently the Pietta 1858s have an uneven number of lands and grooves making it difficult to get an accurate measurement. Anyway I think all I'm going to do is chamfer the cylinder chambers slightly so you don't get that lead rind and which is help swage the RBs and conicals.

To measure a slugged barrel with uneven number of grooves, take a small piece of thin metal like from a pop can and wrap around the slug. Measure and subtract the thickness of the metal.

Back