• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slotting barrel tenons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all , i cant find a file small enough to slot the tenons [1/16 inch pins] . even if i drill multiple holes i would still have to clean out between them. would a 3/16 slot be enough? how do you do it? thanks. mike

I guess it's a little expensive now-a-days when shipping is considered, but slotted keys are available for just about every gun out there.
There's 4 pages listed here, just be sure to check width and thickness, length too,

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/964/1
Inexpensive "jewelers file" packs are available just about everywhere too, but you can count on destroying a file or two to get the job done when hand cutting with those cheap sets.

Honestly, I don't have a slotted key in any of my guns. Like you, I considered them for a time, it's easy enough to do,. But for me, I guess I only had to loose one,, before the lesson was learned, 😇
Like was said a jewelers (SAW) works fine and are cheap ./Ed

hi all , i cant find a file small enough to slot the tenons [1/16 inch pins] . even if i drill multiple holes i would still have to clean out between them. would a 3/16 slot be enough? how do you do it? thanks. mike
Hi,
First, the slot does not have to be the same thickness as the pin. It can be wider as long as the pin pushes against the bottom of the slot. Second, a small round needle file will do the job because the slot does not need to be very long, certainly no longer than 1/8" in your case. Third, I urge you to use larger pins although a lot of guys use 1/16" pins for barrels, I much prefer 3/32". They are stronger, less likely to bend, and easier to tap in and out without damaging the stock. Many folks never remove their barrels but I advise folks to remove them at least once a year to check for corrosion. With respect to pins, I make them a little short so that when tapped in flush from one side, they are short of the other leaving a hole. That hole guides your pin punch preventing it from slipping off the pin and damaging the stock.

dave

I have slotted the barrel tabs on all three of my rifles (which all use keys to hold the barrel). Round jewelers file with a tapered nose goes in the drilled hole first (the file sets are cheap and carried in most of the big box hardware stores). Get the tip of the tapered round file in the hole, widen it up enough to get the flat file in, one side of the flat file should have teeth, open the hole to a slot. If you are using a pin you probably not need the flat file. Takes time, but is not difficult (as long as that drilled hole is in the right place!).

Mike F

Dremel diamond cutting tips work great! If you want a fine hole/slot then you need to get number drill bits that come in thousands of an inch. Eric also suggested diamond tips. Another poster suggested larger pins, and that needs to be considered, but IMO really has to do with stock size/bulk. A thin sleek longrifle to me would not need anything larger than 1/16".
Larry

I drill a series of 1/16" holes then I use a jewelers saw to cut out the waist then use an "old points file" remember those - to clean up the slots.

I hardly agree Pete, for most perhaps, in my case I was a serious power duck decoy carver once, I turned a hobby into a business at which point decoy carving on all my off days from my day job sucked and I quit in 86. At one point I could do the finest feather and bill detail on a decoy with a Dremel or Foredom, although I haven't carved a duck since 86 I am still pretty good with a Dremel. Most people don't know one bit from another and use the wrong one, that is what gets them in trouble.

I tried a jewelers saw and needle files, not much luck with ether. what I found that does works is a drill or dremel with a 1/16 drill bit. Gently run it and back and forth with light pressure on the left and right side of the hole. Does not take much, about .008 to .010 on each side.

Back