• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i have been going through everything I have for the .32 long rifle that I now believe to be a Pecatonica Lancaster (either early or late still to be determined). I was looking over the stock and realized that my brother in law started drilling out the tab slots and one of them is really messed up as seen the pic. This pc is the barrel slot side. I should have taken a pic of the ram rod slot as well to see how crooked the drill holes are.

So here is my dilemma, I do not think this can be fixed to make that slot location usable. But want others thoughts. I believe my only other choice is to cut a new "tab" slot in the barrel either forward of the current one or behind it.

fubar.jpeg

Mapp torch flux and brass filler rod can Doctor the holes in the Brass piece. For the Wood tooth picks...or Fondue Sticks and CA Glue. Fondue Sticks are tapered. so they can be tightly fitted going from the inside out. once you trim the stick to fit put the majority of the glue on the inside so it does not run to the outside finish where it can create a blemish that cannot be stained. Hope this helps. SM

Last edited:
If that’s just a starter hole for the tenon I don’t see a big problem. If it’s in the wrong spot, fill it good and start a new hole. Unless I’m missing something in the photo.

I would leave the barrel alone. Fill the holes and start new. That’s not something that is gonna show. Once you finish the rifle you’ll never remember it was done.

If that’s just a starter hole for the tenon I don’t see a big problem. If it’s in the wrong spot, fill it good and start a new hole. Unless I’m missing something in the photo.

I would leave the barrel alone. Fill the holes and start new. That’s not something that is gonna show. Once you finish the rifle you’ll never remember it was done.
Thanks. Thats exactly what it is. The holes are not straight and one of them came out beside the ramrod slot.So it is visible but hoping I can "hide" once fixed. I've been looking at maple dowels I can slim down to use as plugs in the holes.

I have a full stock target rifle with an 1 1/8” barrel that has god-awful looking tenon inlets that show in the ramrod groove. Stock is very slim and thin forward of the entry pipe. Only when I pull the ramrod out the ugly buggers stare at me like a curious deer. Very well made rifle with beautiful curly maple stock built sometime in late 19th century. My point is the old builders had to deal with the same things we run into today and sometimes the fixes give a rifle character.

Thanks. Thats exactly what it is. The holes are not straight and one of them came out beside the ramrod slot.So it is visible but hoping I can "hide" once fixed. I've been looking at maple dowels I can slim down to use as plugs in the holes.
Just be careful not to fit the wood plugs too tight to the holes and cause a split in the fore end.

As secesh says, some builders hog out a huge inlet for the tenons. Maybe just to make it easier to fit, or maybe to allow the wood to swell/shrink without putting pressure on the barrel. But not visible under the ramrod, so those starter holes are probably ok, if in the right spot.

Thanks. Thats exactly what it is. The holes are not straight and one of them came out beside the ramrod slot. So it is visible but hoping I can "hide" once fixed. I've been looking at maple dowels I can slim down to use as plugs in the holes.
Be aware that when using plugs, it is the end grain that will be taking the stain and the end grain will be a different color than the surface of the other wood.

OK.....

I would ignore those holes for now.

Make sure the barrel is set in it’s channel and most importantly the touch hole location is correct for the lock.

Sometimes the barrel has to be moved back.
Sometimes moved down deeper in the stock.
Sometimes the barrel/lock orientation is way off on these pre-inlet stocks causing a nightmare.
Let’s just hope the lock is in the right place.

It can be so bad, that the stock is unusable.

Check this before anything else!!!!!!!!!

If the lock location is really bad there’s no need to waste your time with this stock.
You are better off with a blank or a shaped stock, no lock inlet if the lock location is bad.
Hopefully the lock location is workable.

After the barrel and lock location is out of the way....
Inlet the breech plug/tang.....

When it comes to the barrel lugs....
Do them one at a time.
Install the lug into it’s slot. Shape the lug to proper height with a file. Dress the edges as well. Soot the lug/barrel with a candle, place the barrel in the stock. Tap the barrel above the lug....
This should leave a print in the barrel channel.
Chisel out the lug hole.
I use a 1/16 chisel.
Sometimes you will break through into the RR groove. Go slow and be neat.
You may have to spot the line g several times to enlarge the slot.....
Below are photos showing how to find and mark pin location with depth gauges.
This all can be done with the simple block and screw gauge....
895BC53A-C2C2-40FE-9A5E-3F14D0296835.jpeg

109FCAD1-E394-4F5B-88EA-4B24D5F64895.jpeg

8FF7B500-73DB-4B23-8BB8-68C2123A14A8.jpeg

B53902A3-C06B-4F31-80EA-FD7AF6018475.jpeg

13DA7108-277D-41BC-BB73-9FE7BF5D2CEE.jpeg

3CED722C-530A-4E57-8D8C-DEC797694241.jpeg

8E3B5164-1B5B-41D5-8263-6B6C5D957384.jpeg

1D5455EF-FA54-4CB9-AA08-C49FBCF47298.jpeg

2C627FB4-8E04-4A38-B664-B51D408DA604.jpeg

Attachments

• E3E52710-2620-489B-BB36-80E3E2A3B377.jpeg
    E3E52710-2620-489B-BB36-80E3E2A3B377.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 0
OK.....

I would ignore those holes for now.

Make sure the barrel is set in it’s channel and most importantly the touch hole location is correct for the lock.

Sometimes the barrel has to be moved back.
Sometimes moved down deeper in the stock.
Sometimes the barrel/lock orientation is way off on these pre-inlet stocks causing a nightmare.
Let’s just hope the lock is in the right place.

It can be so bad, that the stock is unusable.

Check this before anything else!!!!!!!!!

If the lock location is really bad there’s no need to waste your time with this stock.
You are better off with a blank or a shaped stock, no lock inlet if the lock location is bad.
Hopefully the lock location is workable.

After the barrel and lock location is out of the way....
Inlet the breech plug/tang.....

When it comes to the barrel lugs....
Do them one at a time.
Install the lug into it’s slot. Shape the lug to proper height with a file. Dress the edges as well. Soot the lug/barrel with a candle, place the barrel in the stock. Tap the barrel above the lug....
This should leave a print in the barrel channel.
Chisel out the lug hole.
I use a 1/16 chisel.
Sometimes you will break through into the RR groove. Go slow and be neat.
You may have to spot the line g several times to enlarge the slot.....
Below are photos showing how to find and mark pin location with depth gauges.
This all can be done with the simple block and screw gauge....
View attachment 279920
View attachment 279921

View attachment 279922

View attachment 279923

View attachment 279924

View attachment 279925
View attachment 279926
View attachment 279928
View attachment 279929
54Ball,

I cannot thank you enough for the detailed instruction on how to do this the proper way. It is so great to have folks on hear with such valuable knowledge and willing to take the time to share it.

Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back