• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to know...

I first tried 90 and 1.5 in my pedersoli lol... it's hot. High brass load.

After that I think I'm backing off enough on powder. Now.. feels right about good...

I'm at 70 volume... 1.5 lead for the 10ga pedersoli.... Pheasant..

1.4 and 70 vol for the tc
I got a chronograph for Christmas so I will try and see what it's doing before season opens on the 13th

Without the sky chief or choke... they're like 10 15 yard guns for turkey..

Havnt tried skychief but it sounds like a traffic jam goes on... the shot is pushed by the charge into the fat heavey wad sandwich everything tight...

As has been said by myself and others many times.
There is no need to poke/punch holes or cut slips.
Build the load at the muzzle and push it all down together, slow and steady.

You might be using a looser load combination than what I like but I’ve tried that and the combined pressure needed to push down all wads and cards at once is too much.

Additionally it puts a lot of pressure on the shot which can deform the pellets slightly.

I choose to put them down one at a time. If I’m going to be in a hurry, a muzzleloading shotgun would be about the last tool I’d reach for.

Last edited:
I got a chronograph for Christmas so I will try and see what it's doing before season opens on the 13th
Be very cautious of shooting any ml over a chronograph. The gasses and debris (ash from the burned powder) need to be mitigated by setting the chronograph further from the muzzle than one would when shooting modern guns.

With the chronograph set further out it becomes subject to the spreading shot load along with any other load components (card wads, cushion wads, etc.). All that flying through and past the chronograph can do damage.

A couple examples: I had a patch from a ball load hit the screen and wiped it out. I got it replaced and the maker suggested screen protectors which I didn't know existed but I bought a set along with paying for the repair. Another incident was the result of shooting sabots whereupon a sabot hit the upright that holds the sky shade. Damage was done but I was able to repair.

I can imagine also what could happen shooting plastic wads through (at!) a chronograph.

I'm a complete newbie at this smoothbore thing but if I decide to measure the possible effectiveness of a shot load I'll do it by shooting at pine boards.

Be very cautious of shooting any ml over a chronograph. The gasses and debris (ash from the burned powder) need to be mitigated by setting the chronograph further from the muzzle than one would when shooting modern guns.

With the chronograph set further out it becomes subject to the spreading shot load along with any other load components (card wads, cushion wads, etc.). All that flying through and past the chronograph can do damage.

A couple examples: I had a patch from a ball load hit the screen and wiped it out. I got it replaced and the maker suggested screen protectors which I didn't know existed but I bought a set along with paying for the repair. Another incident was the result of shooting sabots whereupon a sabot hit the upright that holds the sky shade. Damage was done but I was able to repair.

I can imagine also what could happen shooting plastic wads through (at!) a chronograph.

I'm a complete newbie at this smoothbore thing but if I decide to measure the possible effectiveness of a shot load I'll do it by shooting at pine boards.
It's pricey but the Garmin Xero C1 sits next to your barrel, is accurate, intuitive, and no need to shoot 'through' the antennae. Don't have one yet but a couple of shooters at the range will share on occasion...

I've had luck with my .54 smoothie by using a .54 felt wad over powder, shot, then two felt wads glued together and soaked in olive oil, makes pattern more uniform.

My target has on it.... 5 hit77s in the harvest zone min... I'd say it's a good min.....

The choke charts are close I think. 25 yards 40" spread cylinder.

My Italian 20GA was a 10-15 yarder but skychief load made it a 20-25 yarder no problem. WORKS (for most). If your gun has a recipe that works w/o it thats cool. Mine did not and I tried MANY different recipes. 1F was the biggest help in pattern, even with the skycheif load.

Latest posts

Back