• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotguns loading technique

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool....

I had been thinking too there's allot you can do but ehhhh....

I have a turkey choke gun that didn't need to go further...

The ten gauge.. I could hope to improve a barrel.. simple way..

After it all... one of the old guys told me just mix it good with some stuff in, i guess buffer of the day... and it's all you need.. why waist time?

One of my grandfather was.... gone when I was 4ish, fuzzy memory of reloading. He did it as Cars for description.
Fast in front slow in back no one passes no one crashes.

Last edited:
Just an idea.
Little More spread pattern closer range..

I think you just need a little bit of large shot on top of small.. like 6 on 8.
4 on 6 etc... but just enough to be in the way.

I'll do some testing soon!

At work idea today to... lmao

Tyvek. "House Wrap".. for round ball?
They have fire rated Tyvek too.

I'm not buying a roll..
but I might get a piece to try.

I just don't know if the reg stuff will melt in there

the fire rated stuff im not buying a roll of 3000 feet

I think papa said... it's was easyer to do this with the blackpowder... he did it in the other and both so is different he said.

He favored building a load that was good close and further. Hunting.... and that's good for both Pheasant and woodcock together.

Mixing I think helps. In a cup would work too just less room. From the best of my memory.

Nice pile of small shot.. then on top with mix shot mixed.... what's that do? Sound good!..... reverse it and it would change things... mix on bottom and small in front.

I'd leave it out but I watched
long range build... 1 hour in a cup
With tweezers and the bedding..
You place everything in there perfect formation😕
I remember that one kinda too but it's tweezer and his reading glasses work in a cup. I remember him say.....it's much easyer in the blackpowder gun.

Layers of like snow flakes.. bedded in buffer.. large shot in middle to small on outside.
A circle 8 6 4 6 8 buffer and repeat.

I was thinking cheating.. buff er small shot.. then run a poker down the middle or fill around a straw from McDonald's.. and plant a row of heavey shot or larger shot up the middle. Just to see.

Remind you... I was around 4 years old... I wish I had him around longer.

He did say you do this different with a choked gun..

Last edited:
I have no clue how to do that easy. 3 or 4 shot size and all..

He used to give everyone 1 custom long range if you went out with him... in case of a nice fly away... and the distance everyone Said ... it's goes far..

I don't think I'm ever trying this long range thing. but it's cool design.

Last edited:
K cup....

I just mixed some shot up in there..

I dumped a little coffee out but it looks like a good mix... mix it up in there nice.. it pours out easy..

I hope it's a light enough buffer because this is doable. Easy-to-use

It does burn easy with a lighter... I wonder if that's good or bad.. like burn itself out.

Attachments

• 20240423_203955.jpg
    20240423_203955.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cool...

Just got a free piece of fire rated insulation. That might be good. Cushion wad.

Last edited:
🥔 .. took like 20 seconds to make.. fits 👍 perfect

Attachments

• 20240424_153633.jpg
    20240424_153633.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_153551.jpg
    20240424_153551.jpg
  • 20240424_153515.jpg
    20240424_153515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_153145.jpg
    20240424_153145.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
My only concern with it is... if I have to pull it out with a worm for some reason..

Slow and easy turn it in not to much it grabs good... if not then it's ordering a co2 discharge and fixed.. so....

Attachments

• 20240424_154942.jpg
    20240424_154942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I don't know how skychief works..

I could guess... the better and faster it goes .. the more shot it pulls further. The opposite of being in the way.

I've never heard of it.. anywhere but here.

I didn't like the oil soaked wads look that much. I been thinking what to use in replace for a while 😆

There ideas anyway.. im searching for them too.

The insulation.

I seen a video where the guy shredded up pulled a cushion wad apart and then sent it down... nice pattern...

I think you could stick I round ball in there to and stuff it down.

Attachments

• 20240424_165448.jpg
    20240424_165448.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_163655.jpg
    20240424_163655.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_163634.jpg
    20240424_163634.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_170448.jpg
    20240424_170448.jpg
Muffin mix buffer? Just read about.

Corn meal buffer

Can make cups.. film containers etc.

With everything here I'm not buying buffer... but i should pick a good one and not just 🔥... though a flame of coffee 🤔

The lighter Amber's it easy... the tobacco didn't light like that.

Attachments

• 20240424_172642.jpg
    20240424_172642.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_173021.jpg
    20240424_173021.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Might as well... it turns red a little I held it there... it's goes away nothing burn

Attachments

• 20240424_173707.mp4
    9.1 MB
I'm thinking a little bear 🐻 and stuff it full of the fire insulation.. little hole to fish out stuffing..

Like a beanie baby.

It's a good idea.. a little stuff animal in the ammo bag

Last edited:
Plant a row of seeds in the middle. Fill in around a straw.

Attachments

• 20240424_190440.jpg
    20240424_190440.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 0
Still working... the calculations

We got

90grn 2f. Cards. Cushion. Buffer shot of #7.5 around #6. 2 oz. Card.. 🥔 = turkey

I'll go easy. 80grns 1.75oz.. that's enough I 🤔

I can't look no more up... that's a range test next.. im done ✔️

I do need a 10ga.. arch punch. I have everyone but that size.

Think 7.5 is better maybe... with 6 or 5 shot.. I could use the three anyway. Mix that in every Direction. Use one or the other for something small game.. worth having

Last edited:
https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/shot-ballistics/shot-ballistics.html

Just to see the Difference in shot size... that's where you go to far with it I guess...

The larger size heavey shot is a little faster than the smaller.. that changed the order of things and I might need a little #4.

I though smaller was faster.. we almost caused ass over head patterns. I think 6 on top of 7.5 buffered.. with a larger shake straw amount of 5 and a pinch of 4 to top.

Might as well mix it good. line these cars up into formation and send it.

Last edited:
I came here after purchasing a Pedersoli Brown Bess. I wanted a general purpose lead flinger for turkey, deer, and squirrel.
After trying a bunch of methods (cornmeal, etc.) I found the SkyChief method to be the easiest, most reliable way to get a good pattern for turkey and squirrel. Nothing else came close.

I'm heading back out today for another week of turkey. Hopefully, I'll get a gob close enough.

I came here after purchasing a Pedersoli Brown Bess. I wanted a general purpose lead flinger for turkey, deer, and squirrel.
After trying a bunch of methods (cornmeal, etc.) I found the SkyChief method to be the easiest, most reliable way to get a good pattern for turkey and squirrel. Nothing else came close.

I'm heading back out today for another week of turkey. Hopefully, I'll get a gob close enough.

I'm going to try it...

It goes.. like a semi truck with motorcycles behind it... if its coming out faster maybe it drags and pull the shot along with it..

Last edited:
Back