• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun Barrel Corrosion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So looking over this old sxs shotgun.
What determines barrel thickness and safety to be shot? Hard to get a good photo. Both barrels have some corrosion and pitting. End of barrels at muzzle seem thin. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG20240103123843.jpg
    IMG20240103123843.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240103123829.jpg
    IMG20240103123829.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Has some wear but not horrible.

Attachments

• IMG20240103140319.jpg
    IMG20240103140319.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240103140325.jpg
    IMG20240103140325.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240103140351.jpg
    IMG20240103140351.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I shot it yesterday with a light load, it seemed ok, no damage. But one nipple split.
Knight makes some really good nipples. I have a set of their Red Hot's that have had a few hundred rounds put through them, and there's still about as good as they were from the factory. They also greatly improved my ignition rate.

I bought a barrel hone from Brownell's, it came with three different grit stones. Worked like a champ.
Robin

I am thinking of relisting the shotgun as a wall hanger? Don't know if I trust to keep trying to shoot it? Thoughts or opinions? I will make someone a good deal?

I am thinking of relisting the shotgun as a wall hanger? Don't know if I trust to keep trying to shoot it? Thoughts or opinions? I will make someone a good deal?
Rob Miller has a post on the smoothbore section on polishing up a dirty barrel it just night be what you need to do .Sure would be worth a try and probably wouldn’t hurt at all..

Are the barrels choked? Maybe just cut a couple three inches off, that looks the worst, and refinish the barrel and hone them like Andy said. Use the Skychief load and go cut loose on one of them big swamp gobblers youins have down there this spring.

Are the barrels choked? Maybe just cut a couple three inches off, that looks the worst, and refinish the barrel and hone them like Andy said. Use the Skychief load and go cut loose on one of them big swamp gobblers youins have down there this spring.
Don't do this.

1st, NEVER shoot any original percussion firearm until the old nipples are 'properly' replaced with new nipples.
Hard to say without having it checked by a qualified BP gun mechanic but you may have a good shooter after giving the bores a good cleaning & proper inspection to determine condition of the locks, bores, breech area, ribs, etc..
Note; In one side view photo I could see daylight between the breech area & the wood, that gap should be glass bedded to prevent the wood from splitting.

Back