• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repair this barrel lug?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onojutta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I drilled the hole for this barrel lug pretty darn close to the edge. The picture makes it look a litle thicker than it is, but the thickness of the steel is no more than the thickness of a fingernail on the outter edge, and I'm concerned that over time this could break, rust away, etc. This is the first lug near the muzzle so it can be seen from the ramrod channel, and my chief concern is that if it ever does degrade, it will become an eyesore. Otherwise it presently holds the pin just fine. Would you repair this, or leave it be? Is there a good way to repair it, or would I be better off just replacing it?

Attachments

• 1710385968064.jpg
    1710385968064.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I have done this and soft soldered a piece of 1/8" steel over the thin place, as long as the add on isn't in your ramrod channel you are OK.

If you put on a new lug you have to plug the hole in the wood and redrill

I use solder paste; you can't knock what you soldered off with a hammer (I tried).

Solder paste;

silver solder paste.jpg

I drilled the hole for this barrel lug pretty darn close to the edge. The picture makes it look a litle thicker than it is, but the thickness of the steel is no more than the thickness of a fingernail on the outter edge, and I'm concerned that over time this could break, rust away, etc. This is the first lug near the muzzle so it can be seen from the ramrod channel, and my chief concern is that if it ever does degrade, it will become an eyesore. Otherwise it presently holds the pin just fine. Would you repair this, or leave it be? Is there a good way to repair it, or would I be better off just replacing it?
My first kit I drilled the pin hole and cut the bottom of the tenon. My teacher simply brazed the hole and added a small amount of brass below the tenon. I drilled the hole again, and deepened the notch in the forearm a bit. Still holding after 43 years.

My first kit I drilled the pin hole and cut the bottom of the tenon. My teacher simply brazed the hole and added a small amount of brass below the tenon. I drilled the hole again, and deepened the notch in the forearm a bit. Still holding after 43 years.

I don't have access to brazing or welding equipment, but would filling the hole with solder and re-drilling it work?

I don't have access to brazing or welding equipment, but would filling the hole with solder and re-drilling it work?
Solder is too soft to use to fill the hole. Either replace the whole lug or do as Eric suggested and solder a piece of steel to the thin part and re-drill

Thanks for all the replies. If I replace the lug, then I run the risk of it not fitting well in the notch that is already cut in the bottom of the barrel channel and a sloppy fit will look bad from the ramrod groove. Using solder will risk the lug coming off when heating and might be too soft, so I might try filling the hole with JB Weld or the product that Eric Krewson mentioned above and starting over with the hole.

No. Just not a good repair option.
Thanks for all the replies. If I replace the lug, then I run the risk of it not fitting well in the notch that is already cut in the bottom of the barrel channel and a sloppy fit will look bad from the ramrod groove. Using solder will risk the lug coming off when heating and might be too soft, so I might try filling the hole with JB Weld or the product that Eric Krewson mentioned above and starting over with the hole.
JB Weld or any other epoxy would be way down my list for something to use for a repair of this type. It will hold for a while before failing…. The Solder-It product @Eric Krewson mentioned is available for less than $15 from a number of sources and works. You can add material to the existing lug as the Solder-It product works at low temperatures, or use the Solder-It to secure a replacement lug, my choice. If either option doesn’t fit the stock, use a chisel, Exacto knife or maybe a sharpened screwdriver if you are tool challenged to open things up a bit.

One more time, just replace the lug and avoid all the finkling.

I have done this and soft soldered a piece of 1/8" steel over the thin place, as long as the add on isn't in your ramrod channel you are OK.

If you put on a new lug you have to plug the hole in the wood and redrill

I use solder paste; you can't knock what you soldered off with a hammer (I tried).

Solder paste;

View attachment 303661
this stuff really works, i have used it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back