• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot/powder accessory recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican65

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Before joining this site, I’d never had any black powder resources…other than an old neighbor showing a few very small things. I’ve target shot my black powder rifle plenty over the last 20 years as a novice…but now I have a shotgun, and have some questions.

Target shooting at the range, I just carried all my junk in a small green military ammo container, and used a small brass device for measuring powder.

I’d like to know what guys traditionally carried their shot and powder in, and how to measure them both…in a hunting atmosphere. And what did they carry all of the different patches and wads in?

Thank you,

Dow

Hi guys,

Before joining this site, I’d never had any black powder resources…other than an old neighbor showing a few very small things. I’ve target shot my black powder rifle plenty over the last 20 years as a novice…but now I have a shotgun, and have some questions.

Target shooting at the range, I just carried all my junk in a small green military ammo container, and used a small brass device for measuring powder.

I’d like to know what guys traditionally carried their shot and powder in, and how to measure them both…in a hunting atmosphere. And what did they carry all of the different patches and wads in?

Thank you,

Dow
Hi guys,

Thank you,

Dow
I realize that I should have posted in the accessories section just now…whoops.

My personal preference is a horn, no moving parts or spring to break... plus I tend to lean pre-1840's... Also capacity, the horn will hold twice ((+-)) what an average flask will hold, I traded 2 flasks I had years ago and haven't looked back... If I'm shooting my revolvers I still have one for them but that's about it... You may find that you want a separate bag for each of your guns so you don't accidently end up with the wrong food for the wrong gun, don't ask how I know... You can use your powder measure for shot if need be or pick up one specifically for each... I usually just shoot a square load in my smoothbore (equal amounts powder and shot) so I use the same measure...

Horn carries better than a flask. Get or make a pouch, very small one (6x7" or so) and put your wads in there and maybe a flint wallet with turnscrew and vent pick if you your gun is a flintlock, nipple wrench and capper if it isn't. Put your wads and cards in there loose, you can easily sort nitro cards and felt wads from overshot cards by feel if there isn't too much other "stuff" in the pouch. Generally, the same measure is used for powder and shot in the field. Once you get your load sorted out, make a measure that size and clip it to your pouch strap mid-chest and attach a lanyard long enough to reach the muzzle easily. I don't have a shot snake but would certainly be using one if loading from components.

My solution for the field is paper cartridges. I like to use a buffer material in my cylinder bores and that adds too much complexity to loading "from the bag".

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/paper-shot-cartridge-tutorial.168298/

Powder flask vs. powder horn? Any comments? One better than the other?

Thanks,
Dos
Flask were used as soon as guns were invented. They were made of horn, wood, bone ivory and metal.
Horn was used pretty early.
In eighteenth and the first half of the nineteenth century h a powder horn was preferred.
With the coming of the Industrial Revolution flask became very popular.
So if your shooting a gun styled before cr 1840 a horn is your best option
If your gun is styled after 1830 a flask can be good.
Over lapping times?
Yup
Horn was seen well up to the 1930s in much of Appalachia while a hunter in Ohio in 1810 may well have used a flask
Some cheap flask imports are poorly made, as are horns. A good flask or a good horn are pretty much equal.
I just don’t like flask as I think it lacks the romance of the horn

Latest posts

Back