• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short German rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, nice :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.
.65 caliber. You know what the ball weight was originally?
What is the total length?
Really an interesting gun, plan on taking it for a hunting trip?

" Very cool take down gun. I've always wondered who these types of guns would be for. Travelers, businessmen??"

Maybe for spys,..... like 07, they probably had a quill pen and a piece of parchment hidden in the lining of their Paul Revere boots

Vegard Dino said:
Ohhhhhhhhh

WOW
That is a nice gun. no, sorry, very nice :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing. Got any information? Caliber, how long?

Love to learn more about these rifle style. Who used them and for what?

No, the only thing I have left is the pics. I had a link to a gunshop or auction house that had it. But it doesn't work anymore and I tried a search of Keuchenreuters name and couldn't find the rifle any place :idunno: .
I'm affraid it might be lost to history now :cursing:(insert crying smiley here).

The Kuchenreuters are a VERY well known gunmaking family in Steinweg bei Regensburg.

The initials on the barrel SEEM to say "J C Kuchenreuter", which could be Johann Christoph, 1755-1818. The gun looks about 1770 or earlier, so it could be him, or another slightly earlier family member. I do not have a complete listing of the family, and the initials look kinda funky, so it's hard for me to say.

Thanks, good information.

Where these short rifles also made as smoothbores?
Used for hunting in thick cover or also as a defense weapon?

German smoothbore guns are usually "full length", meaning 40+ inch long barrels. Most are half stocked, and usually considered bird guns, but there are plenty of full stocked "general purpose" smoothbore shotguns.

There are also straight rifled guns. In the 18th century, these were called "Schrot Buechsen" (shot rifles). They are treated as smoothbores, without rifle type sights, and usually without patchboxes. They are said to make better shot patterns, and you can buy straight rifled modern shotgun barrels today. :wink:

I had a straight rifle barrel made up for me, and eventually I'll get around to stocking it.

I guess they could be used "defensively", but they didn't go around carrying rifles or shotguns. Defensive arms in 18th century Germany would be swords (either hunting swords or smallswords) or probably a walking stick (I see LOTS of use of man-tall walking sticks in 18th century German images, and I can imagine that they were considered defensive tools :wink: ) One might carry a pistol too, but they weren't real big on pistols there at the time (other than military pistols or rifled pistols for target shooting).

"German smoothbore guns are usually "full length", meaning 40+ inch long barrels."

Hey Stophel, how comes they had longish barrels on their smoothbores, were they not aware of the common knowledge and laws of physics that determined that shorter barrels had to be used for smoothbore shooting? ya know, for use in heavy cover, fast birds, hard crossing birds and such......hey! maybe it was the birds that did not know what was going on? Buncha birdbrained birds :idunno: I guess we learn something new every day. :hmm: It never fails to amaze me how historical evidence fails to live up to contemporary thoughts/theories on many things :confused:

Stophel and sbhg, beautiful rifles!! THanks for posting the pics, because some of us will never have another opportunity probably. :bow:

Back