• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My German Wheellock replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicN

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This is a project I began way back in the 1960's I had bought a flintlock pistol and had a go at repairing it's broken sear spring. I then made a replica lock. I used to go to the Science and industry museum in Birmingham (UK) and they had a display of guns from the proof house collection, there were several wheellocks and I became fascinated by how they worked. I decided to have a go at making a wheellock and the first attempt was an Italian pistol copied from a book, I spent weeks making the lock and using a tiny Unimat lathe to mill flutes in the barrel and a raised section on the lock plate which I then chiseled as leaves. I then carved the walnut stock. Then I looked at the metal filigree inlay shown on the book photo and realised it was a step too far trying to cut intricate scrolls in the wild grain of Walnut and it was never completed and has no trigger, I have photo's which I'll add later.

However, around 1972 I was itching to make a working replica of a German Nuremberg holster pistol, again copied from a book, which I show here, The lock and barrel all completed but the bone inlay is still nowhere near completed as you will see on the photo's. The lock has 7 springs in total and I still have the box of failures from earlier attempts that broke on compression, I learned that springs need to temper beyond the blue to grey and then plunge in old engine oil, from then on I never lost a spring again. The barrel is made from a 1" bar with 1/2" bore that I found at a blacksmiths, as I had no lathe big enough between centres back then it took hours and hours of filing and grinding the taper right down to the muzzle, the bore is actually about right for this type of gun,

Being a holster pistol this type of weapon is almost straight and is 34" in total, the barrel with it's short tang is 25" .It's copied from a book which it listed as a holster pistol (Horse) from around 1580. On the lock you can see my initials VN carved in the protrusion from the internal bridle and also a "V" for Vic stamped in the lock.

It has not been worked on for decades, I got married, had kids etc, I still have the box of inlay materials, mostly bone handled cutlery, piano keys that were bone and not ivory and necklaces and bracelets with useable pieces of bone and staghorn. I have fired it using wadding rather than a ball, the mechanism works well, fires every time. Being mild steel it's now turned grey, the original would be made from pure iron which stays bright and does not rust so easily

Vic

WP_20210618_09_31_09_Pro.jpg

Reverse.jpg

the reverse shows part of the inlay has been started, all the figures copied from the book but the space around the figures need lots of tiny round inserts
wheelock.jpg

The lock which has a spring powered pan cover and again my initials VN on the mainspring, the spindle and short chain are case hardened as is the wheel. The exterior photo shows the safety lever locked in place.
WP_20210618_09_32_50_Pro.jpg

Part of the inlay copied from a book, some of my engraving beginning to wear away just from occasionally handling the gun over the years, I'm not sure what they would have used to darken the engravings
WP_20210618_10_53_05_Pro.jpg

The barrel has the Nurenberg snake symbol, the wheel was case hardened but most of the lock is mild steel
WP_20210618_09_33_15_Pro.jpg

My initials VN and the stamp V are visible on the lock, the safety lever swivels to lock the sear from moving

broken springs.jpg

The graveyard of broken springs, hours of filing and polishing only for failure either instantly or after a few hours

Attachments

• WP_20210618_09_30_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210618_09_30_59_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You've a great eye for detail, and execution is perfect. If time travel were possible, you could go back and eke out a good life as a 15th century gunsmith.
As with others,, I'm envious!
77 also, but old wars have worn me down. At least the VA pays well!

Thank you all for your kind comments, I have spent a lifetime copying things, my walls at home have Rembrandt and Van Dyke portraits I did when I was young. My job for BBC scenery was special paint effects where I could replicate any wood, marble, brick/stone etc.
Then I became an architectural modelmaker making miniature models for museums and collectors. My old websites are still out there.

Here is my other wheellock I made before the German one, I used a tiny Unimat lathe to mill the flutes on the barrel, which shook it nearly to pieces, and also to mill the lock plate to leave a raised portion which I then used jewellers engraving tools and needle files to ornament it. inside the lock I made a couple of small errors but found a way to get past it.

The Walnut stock is completed with carving etc but no inlay other than by the tang, no trigger was ever fitted and it never got a test firing although the lock does work very well.

Both this and the German one above were built on a piece of 5/16" steel plate held in a vice, this way I could build on the various parts of the lock until complete and then carefully cut it out and grind/ file it to it's final shape, the whole idea of the original gunmakers was to make the lock plate as small as possible so as not to weaken the stock. Making the plate to it's final shape first would add difficulty in handling it as I quickly discovered
WP_20230727_16_54_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20230727_17_00_18_Pro.jpg

This is the Italian gun (Brescian) that I (very) loosely based it on

WP_20230727_16_55_03_Pro.jpg

The work round the plate was done with Jewellers chisels and needle files and came out better than I expected
WP_20230727_16_55_22_Pro.jpg

No trigger or a slot for one either
carving.jpg

My first attempt at carving a stock with foliage came out really well
barrel.jpg

An attempt to inlay steel tracery was a step too far as the Walnut grain is difficult to inlay, how the Brescian masters managed I don't know. The barrel is made from the same 1" steel pipe as the German one
lock.jpg

I made errors here and hadn't made a cam on the spindle to knock open the pan cover, I made another spindle and also the lever attached to the pan cover, it is a bit crude and not ornamented as I'd planned to check it worked first and then ornament it a bit although you can't see it in the photo, also the top where the pan cover slides is a bit of a codge up but I learned a lot

Last edited:
My job for BBC scenery was special paint effects where I could replicate any wood, marble, brick/stone etc.
Then I became an architectural modelmaker making miniature models for museums and collectors. My old websites are still out there.
that is an incredibly cool career and I am very jealous! My girlfriend is in architecture school right now and I love seeing all the models they build.

The BBC sold their programmes all over the world so probably you might have seen something I worked on such as Charles Dickens well known works

Latest posts

Back