• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shelter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look at E N Woodcocks , Fifty years a hunter and trapper.

Many discussions of building winter camps for winter long hunting/trapping

Sean Gadhar said:
Seems like the where would have a lot to do with which what worked best :grin: . That is to say, If I has mud/clay and a large number of willows, I wouldn't build with rock I had to haul in. If I was on the plains it would be more sod less log. Best bang for the buck is the best that can be made from the available resources at hand. Next would be the question of how it would be affected by where you are. If there is a lot of rain then wattle and daub will break down faster, but if there is clay and willows the time spent patching might be small when compared with what would be needed to get other materials on sight.

I tend to agree with S.G. on this. Permanent and semi permanent shelter would depend on available resources. Forested areas would provide timber. Dried river bottoms would provide rocks. The plains would provide sod.

Being familiar with southeastern Colorado along the Apishapa River, where suitable trees for shelter are scarce, there is layer after layer of sediment turned stone. The layers vary in thickness, separate easily and a very suitable shelter could be made in a very short time with this material. It is not uncommon to find ancient ruins in the area made with these ready made blocks.

Shelters would have been made with what they had available.

JY

I watched a movie where two boys were trapped in the Canadian wilderness......and they built a log cabin shelter using only a hatchet....the logs were of small diameter (4-6 inches) and placed vertically instead of horizontally....... A smoke hole was left above the door and a fire built inside.....much like a teepee.

Similar to this.....

ogCus7B.jpg

colorado clyde said:
Great!...Now the question at hand is, are the structures with windows depicting wikiups or clapboard houses?

I thought the Swedish settlers built clapboard houses... :hmm:

Log cabins. 'Twas they (actually the Finns, who were part of the Swedish Empire at the time and constituted a lot of New Sweden) who introduced the log cabin to America.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/4logcabins/4facts1.htm

Weslager's book The Log Cabin in America is required reading for frontier history enthusiasts...

BTW,
Faraghar, in his biography of Daniel Boone, hints that the descendents of the Finnish settlers still constituted a distinct group in 1750, the first white woodsrunners, and that it was they who taught Boone to survive in the woods. No sources cited, though, so I've been unable to follow up.

In case you are wondering why the Swedes would send Finns to colonize NA: First, the Finns were more "woodsy" and hunting-oriented than most Swedes (I think), and second...well, I've seen them described as "drunken arctic badgers" and the Swedes probably figured that the more Finns went to the other side of the Atlantic the happier everyone would be. Kind of like the Scots-Irish...

Latest posts

Back