• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chuck Edwards Gunbuilding Class

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeutonicHeathen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always been into shooting the iconic Kentucky Rifle. There is a feel that goes with it that you get from no other gun. When hunting you get the Daniel Boone feeling in the woods. Its almost reliving history again. However I wanted to take it a step farther and learn to build my own longrifles. I started that journey in May of 2015 with a Jim Chambers kit and class. Which was a very good introduction to the craft, but after the week was over I still had a lot of work left on the kit. The kit has been sitting in my garage since May of last year without being touched because frankly I was still intimidated by all the work that still had to be done and not really sure how to do it. I bought all the building books and dvd's but still felt a lack of confidence and skill. I did not want to turn a $900 kit into a $100 piece of 2X4 with a barrel. Knowing I couldn't afford to go to another class out in eastern Kentucky or western North Carolina the kit sat there even longer. One day I was on the CLA website and I got the idea to look for builders in the Midwest area who would be willing to offer classes and help me out. I came across Chuck Edwards. I researched him and read all the interviews on different blogs and magazines and decided to give him a call. Well am I sure glad I did! He offered for me to come down to his house and would give me classes on finishing my kit. I could have not asked for a better mentor and teaching environment. I drove the two and a half hours to his place in the boot hill of Missouri and it was like stepping back in time 200 years ago when I entered his shop. It was a 1820's log cabin from Tennessee! He uses mostly all traditional methods and tools to build and finish his guns. We started working at 8am in the morning and did not quit until close to 7 that night. It was wonderful, the teaching was all 1 on 1 so I didn't have to wait for the instructor to make the rounds to ask him a question. He didn't walk off and start doing other things or chit chat with the boys. He stayed with me the whole time. Not only did he teach what to do, he explained the theory and methods behind it and the why's so that it would make since. He showed me how to use some of the tools I was not experience with and also how to make specialized tools to help in the building. He was patient and answered all my questions whether they where dumb or not. He is willing to teach at whatever skill level you are at. If you want to learn from a blank, call him he will teach you. Want to start from a chambers or some other Kit? He has you covered! He is also teaching engraving and carving classes as well. I spent the whole weekend with him and be the end of class on Sunday we where slapping on the first coat of oil on my gun and boy did it look fabulous! The wood sucked the oil right up. Chuck is the only person I know of that teaches 1 on 1. His wife cooked all my meals as well which I was not expecting. She made some fabulous food. Most classes you have to buy the teaches kits and they will show you how to build. Not Chuck, he will teach you to build whatever you want. He will work around your schedule as well so you can attend one of his classes. He is very reasonably priced on classes and if you don't have all the tools you need he will let you use some of his. You will not find a better class with 1 on 1 teaching in the Midwest part of the states. In fact he is the only gunbuilder I know that is offering classes in the Midwest and the only Builder I know who teaches 1 on 1. SO, if you have always wanted that special rifle or fowler but didn't have the skill or confidence I would suggest giving Chuck a call. I cant wait to attend more classes in the future with him. You can find chucks contact information on the CLA website or feel free to give him a call at 573-568-2075.

That's really a great story. . . .God blessed me with a lucky encounter via a friend who has a guy he works with. We were at a get together and I heard him mention Friendship Indiana and being at the ML shoot. A year later i was researching my first build, which was last summer, and so I got his number from my friend and cold called the guy (Marc R.) He volunteered to help me, and I had no idea what a commitment I was asking of him. We met at a Friendship, IN shoot and he walked me around the booths and showed me some makers, including Jim Chambers and Hershel House's brother both of whom knew Marc . . . that didn't mean anything to me at the time. It does now !!

A few days later a Rifle Building book arrives in my mailbox from him . . .long story short the last several months he has been helping me with a late lancaster from TVM a few hours every other week . . . come to find out he had built about 20 guns and taken some classes with the House brothers and a local pro whose name just slipped my mind. . . That's why I say a blessing, because without this kindness and generosity, I would have let it sit too or turned $800 into $80, probably both !! I am not done yet, but I am having fun and enjoying a whole new world. . Great folks in this sport and on this forum too . . .so very helpful every time I've asked questions here. . . . I've learned so much. . .far to go, but learned much here.

Latest posts

Back