• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screw driver lookin' thang fer the rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ya can put this under the dumb question category, but what the heck is that funky look'n flat tip screw driver end fer.

I bought a "54 Cal" kit for my Ramrod from Cabela's, inside there's a brass jag, bore mop, patch puller, ball puller (ya right), and this funky flat head screw driver thang? ? ?

Is there a bore screw somewheres I don't know about? :p

I'd hate ta think i've got a screw loose and don't know it! ::

Spot

Spoty,.... The "screw-driver look'n thang" is a breech-face scraper,.... which yore rifle cain't use, 'cause it's got a patten-breech!! :)

Barrels with flat bottom bores can use it to scrape the crud off the face of the breech...

What you could do is have it turned down to fit your patten-breech, a little undersized, of course...

What size is your patten-breech?

I have no clue, but I'm sure that someone here on this forum does know... :winking:

Or, you can drill a hole through the blade of the brass screw-driver look'n thang and ta-DAA, a brass sinker for fishing... :haha:

wal, RollinB....cudent he use hit iffn he wuz to grind off tha corners sum 'n shape hit lak he wuz gonna scrape tha concave breech?(guess thet wud make tha scraper convex?)

TwoShadows,.... When talk'n 'bout the Lyman GPR's patten-breech, I haft'a rely soley on memory of the "one" time I ever had to remove one.
A young feller bought a GPR "kit" and asked to use my shop and tools to put it together. He did an excellent job with the metal and wood. When it was done, we commenced to sight it in by open'n the window above my work-bench which gave him access to the 100 yd. range in my back-yard.
After several attemps to fire the GPR with "hang-fires" (percussion rifle), I tolt him ther was sumpthin wrong with the "ignition",... we changed nipples, and tryed agin,.. still had "hang-fires",... we changed to "fresh" Goex FFFG and still got "hang-fires".

After try'n to blow down the bore without any success, I removed tha barrel and set it up in the big bench-vice to remove the breech-plug.

The "PROBLEM" was, thet the "flash-hole" in the bolster entered the patten-breech with jest barely a "crack" instead of a "hole". After remove'n the "clean-out" screw, I opened thet "crack" up to a "full hole" into the patten-breech. This was 'bout 5-6 years ago, and if I remember correctly, the patten-breech was 'bout 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" long and 'bout 3/8" in dia. (sure wisht I had a better memory, or had take'n some "measurements" when I had thet plug out),.... anyway, after I re-installed the breech-plug in tha barrel, the "problem" with ignition was cured.

Thet was the "ONLY" instance I've ever heard of, of thet "nature", and I've been around a "LOT" of GPRs. So to answer yore question 'bout use'n a breech-face scraper in Lyman's patten-breech,... YES, I think a feller could grind one down to "fit" if he was determined to do so. Personaly "I" don't think it's neccesary to use a scraper in a patten-breech, but would rather use the "flush-system" when clean'n. I cannot offer "any opinion", in regards to clean'n, when use'n anythin besides "real" BP in a patten-breech!!

Maybe someone else on this board knows the "exact dimentions" of the Lyman patten-breech, or has a better memory then I have, and can comment!!

and if I remember correctly, the patten-breech was 'bout 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" long and 'bout 3/8" in dia.

I got an email off to Lyman asking them for the inner-dimensions of the patten-breech...

I'll post their reply as soon as I get it...

I got an email off to Lyman asking them for the inner-dimensions of the patten-breech...

I'll post their reply as soon as I get it...

As promissed, here is the answer I got from Lyman about their patten-breech on the GPR...

The powder cavity in the breech plug is .355" in diameter and 1.00" deep.

It has a standard drill point at the bottom of the cavity. This is the same for all our current barrels.

Musketman,.... Thanks for refresh'n my memory! The "problem" I described in the above post,... was located at the "JUNCTION" of the two holes, one be'n the "flash-channel", the other be'n the .355 "patten breech"!

I must say,.. thet in over 30 years of mess'n with Lyman GPRs, I've only seen the above "problem" ONCE!! :)

Wow,

Hmmm... Guess I could get a .33" drill and see if'n I can use it to do scrap'n... All I'd have to do it fit the end of it with a thread adaptor.

Guess I could look fer a .33" drill that's at least 28" long. ::

BTW - I turn't around thet front blade - now I'll have to start filin' it.

Where do you guy's put the top of the blade, equal with the horns or at the top of the groove at the bottm? Thang's make'n me wonder.

Spot

Darkhorse,.... "Thecnicaly" you are correct,... I spell it differnt to keep my "t's" together!! (easyer spell'n thet way, fer an unedujucated man!! ::)

Spot,.... I always like to have the "top" of the front-sight FLUSH with the "top" of the rear-sight notch (same as if the rear-sight had no "horns"). I also sight in with a "dead-center" sight-picture, however some folks prefer a 6:00 o'clock sight-picture!!

RB,

I keep the same sight hold you do. I'll start a file'n this weekend if it ever quit's rain'n.

Of course the place will be flooded to all get go by then. We're already have'n water rescues, and at least 2 more inches tonight, then more on Friday.

Spot

RB,

DEAL!!!

With that said the wind blow like the devil last night keep'n me up (50+ MPH gusts) And now it ain't gonna rain taday - Where'd ya want me ta mail the rain ta. :) ::

They had 4 water type near tragadies - took them 2 hours to get a couple of women out of what it took them 2 minutes to get into.

Spot

MM,
What is the shape of the breech end on a T/C? I have a scraper for T/C ml's that's got a half-round end on it. Does this mean that T/C used a ball end mill to finish off their breech? Since you're such a great source of information (obscure and otherwise), I thought you might be able to find out for me. Thanks.

Spot,.... Jest send thet "wet" over to tha west-side of tha Big Horns, it otta find me sooner or later!!

I sent tha "dry" on thet wind you got last night, sounds like ya recieved it in "good shape"!! :haha: :: :D :applause: ::

Latest posts

Back