• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safety Glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty paranoid about my left eye. It's the only eye left with sight.

Shooting glasses 100% of the time. No matter how unPC it is.

unPC....I made a new word. :)

:thumbsup: Shooting Glasses ALL of the time!

I'm easy to spot at a Rondy--I'm the guy with the big Peltor electronic muffs :rotf: cause I want to be able to hear my grandchildren say "I love you"!

Now we gotta get the kid a job, so he can marry his long-time girlfriend and make me a granddad. :rotf: :idunno:

Dave

Several of the guys in our club use them at each shoot. I either use the regular ear muffs or the disposable ear plugs I get from my dad's work.

When shooting percussion, it eventually damage the safety glasses so that you can no longer use or see well out of them? I bought a set of Ducks Unlimited interchangable frame glasses for trap shooting and I don't want to ruin them from shooting muzzleloaders.

Check the warranty on the lenses. Sometimes "expensive" is really cheaper in the long haul.

Take my Leica binoculars: Lifetime guaranteed against everything, including dropping them down a ravine! Just bring back the piece with the serial number to prove you actually had them, and they'll replace them free of charge, for your entire life! So I registered them in my son's name :haha: since hopefully he'll outlive me!

Back to glasses: If you're glasses aren't covered for "breakage" maybe you can get some that are, so when they become unusable, they're "broke"? Chain eyeglass stores come to mind.....

Dave

luie b said:
When shooting percussion, it eventually damage the safety glasses so that you can no longer use or see well out of them? I bought a set of Ducks Unlimited interchangable frame glasses for trap shooting and I don't want to ruin them from shooting muzzleloaders.

If you ruin your glasses, they are protecting your eyeballs, is this not the purpose of eye protection?

Which is cheaper, the hospital to have your eye balls repaired or new glasses?

Capper said:
I'm pretty paranoid about my left eye. It's the only eye left with sight.

Shooting glasses 100% of the time. No matter how unPC it is.

unPC....I made a new word. :)

Funny finding this thread, as I have been wrestling with this issue for several years. Sadly, it has kept me from taking the plunge into flintlocks.

I lost my left eye in a bow hunting accident in 1983. Another hunter (did not know him) mistook me for a deer at dusk and shot me in the head. I lost my left eye, and I was lucky not to lose my life. In 1985, I was shot in the right eye by another bird hunter (hunting partner) while we were quail hunting. That eye was damaged so badly, that they would have removed it if it wasn't my only remaining eye. Miraculously, they saved my vision in my only remaining eye. I have better than 20/20 vision in this eye, with the aid of very strong bifocal glasses (they had to remove my lens).

I simply love the look of flintlocks and it is something I badly want to get involved in. Can I shoot a flintlock safely with good safety glasses? What about percussion?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I want to shoot and hunt with a flintlock in the worst way.
Thanks.
Dan

In my opinion, you will be totally safe shooting either the percussion or the flintlock as long as you are wearing eye protection.

Neither one of these guns throws any sizable pieces of debris towards the shooter so any good set of glasses should be all you will need.

Although I have never had any pieces of percussion caps hit my face when I'm shooting I always wear eye protection, just in case.

As for flintlocks the worst damage that I've ever recieved while firing one of them is a few glowing grains of powder from the pans flash falling on my forehead.
Again, when shooting a flintlock I wear eye protection but my doing so is based on the idea that "it might throw a piece of flint back towards my face". To the best of my knowledge a flintlock never has done this but it is possible.

I'd say if you really want to own and shoot a flintlock there's no better time to start looking for one that suits you right now. :)

oneeye...............Interesting......I was going to use Deadeye instead of Capper. I think it was taken though. Kind of forgot now.

Anyway, as Zonie said. I don't see a problem. In my case I lost my dominant right eye. I had to learn to shoot left handed. It feels pretty comfortable now. Sort of.

I shoot RH guns. That puts the lock in front of my dead eye. No problem with caplocks at all. If I shot a flint i'd probably still keep it on the right side. Less flash in front of my seeing eye.

Get some good shooting glasses, and go for it.

Thanks for the responses. Does the flash of the flintlock bother anyone when they shoot? Do you even see it? Thanks again. I am back on the prowl for a flintlock.
Dan

Yes, at first it's impossible to ignore. You see it, you hear it and you feel it. But that goes away pretty quickly, especially if you have a good, fast lock. I can't remember it happening, but one day I just woke up and realized I don't notice it any more. Now it's just part of the main charge, and even that's almost an afterthought.

While on the pistol line, when I shot, the person to my left asked what had I had done.

A cap fragement from my pistol had bounced off the inside roof and hit her on top of the head.

She was not hurt, just a bit scared that she might have been hurt. She was wearing safety glasses. In a bit, she had a hat on to protect her head.

I really felt bad. The nipple on the pistol is on the right, she was a good bit to my left.

Stuff can happen to others', just not to you from your actions.

Just a suggestion folks.
If someone clicks the "Reply" button on one of your posts the computer thinks the new post is to you so it puts " In response to YOUR NAME" at the top.

Read what is writ and ask yourself, "Does that make sense or is he/she writing to someone else or maybe even no one in particular?" before responding.

There is a good chance that they hit your name by accident.

I don't know if you all have the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the topic like I do but if someone has that feature and uses it, the computer will address it to the last person who posted when the "Add Post" button is hit.

I understand how it works Zonie. When my post isn't right above their post, and the content could be to me. I respond by asking if it's to me, before saying anything else.

I really don't like the system on this forum. I've never seen another forum setup like this one.

If i want to respond to someone, ill quote them, and put their name on the top of my posts.

Too many misunderstandings with this setup.

With some flintlocks there's a much
higher chance of powder debris and
irritants getting blown up and under
the safety glasses from the pan mostly.
Some safety glasses don't provide
coverage for all situations so there's
still some degree of risk.
Sport goggles that can be fitted
with prescription lenses might offer
more protection from such debris
getting swept underneath them.
IMO there's more risk shooting