• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sacrilege or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePrice2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone pre-roll their powder charges for a day at the range or plinking in the field? I take a sheet of cheap paper and tear it into 3 by 4.25 strips and roll it around a magic marker. Then glue stick seal the strip and fold and glue one end shut. I'll make 20-30 and then measure 60 grs of Goex 2FF and fold and glue those shut and toss them into a baggie. I haven't gotten into using a powder horn and don't use that brass flask that my friend gave me when he sold my his TC NE to me. It's mighty convenient to unflip the glued paper flap, tear it off and pour in the powder. Somewhat like the Civil war paper cartridges minus the minie ball.

Just wondering if any others use this technique or not?? :confused:

Steve

I went through a spell where I was using them with my GPR, but have moved along to the horn in later years.

I would make the full charges with powder and ball, using the paper for patch/wadding and did okay in regards to accuracy. I guess I should have underlined okay because it was never anywhere near the accuracy obtained with a properly PRB.

When I have a new rifle and am trying to work up a load I'll make a bunch of pre-measured charges in two grain increments and see which work best. Once I have a good load I make a fixed measure and from then on load from the horn to the measure.

When it is rainy or I am packing only a few shots for a short hunt I will use pre-measured plastic pill containers to hold my powder for hunting. But only during regular season with my percussion rifle. ;-)

The only time I use premeasured charges is when I'm hunting. For general plinking and target shooting, it's just too quick and easy to use the powder measure. When I'm hunting, I try to keep weight and clutter down, so I leave the horn and measure behind. Also, when I'm plinking, I never know how many rounds I'm going to shoot. Sometimes a few, sometimes a heckuva lot.

I run in the primitive biathlons that are getting to be popular up here in the northeast, and almost everyone uses paper cartriges. they frown on plastic speed loaders. my favorite is coin rolls - I tape one end shut, fill & fold the other end. I even use different denominations to keep the different charges straight: pennies - 50 grs for my rifle, quarters - 60 for my wife, nickels - 75 for the musket, etc, etc.
Of course, there are still several oldtimers who just run these for the fun of it, and still use horns & flasks.

I make up paper cartridges for my Brown Bess and absolutely love them. Also make paper ones for my 1861 Springfield repro although using the plastic tube cartridges are a lot more convenient. Everything else is powder measure, patch and ball.

I have done it in the past but for hunting this is what I do now.
2008_10100003.jpg

StevePrice2 said:
Just wondering if any others use this technique or not?? :confused:
I use free 35mm film canisters to take premeasured charges to the range...air tight, watrerproof, and don't have to waste time making new ones every time...bring them home and just refill them.

I keep several large ziploc bags filled with 50 canisters each, with bag a different powder charge...20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90 Goex 3F and a bag of 100grns Goex 2F...I just take the whole box to the range with me

053108PremeasuredPowderBags-Bin.jpg

Thanks, the little apostles will hold 75 grains of 2F powder. If I make anymore I'll use larger stock but those worked out fine since that is what my Pedersoli Jaeger likes anyway.

Runball

That is an awesome setup. I too would like to know if those are push plugs or screw. Also is the stopper also the ball starter. :thumbsup:

They are a friction fit but a good one I have never had one come out unless I pulled it out but this is not to say it can't happen. I really need to put on a little keeper string just in case. They are not sturdy enough to use as a short starter but the ball block is. I went hunting last fall and shot a fox that was in a corn field eating corn and had to reload but didn't have a short starter with me. I pushed the ball out of the block with the ramrod as far into the muzzle as it would go and laid the ball block on it edgewise and gave it a whack. It worked fine and I got reloaded after getting frantic for about 30 seconds.

Latest posts

Back