• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain permitting I'm ready to take a ship as a prize!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osseon

40 Cal
Reaction score
thought I would show my first attempt at making paper cartridges for my Blunderbuss using .69 ball. Any tips or criticism welcome! I know blunderbuss mostly used shot, but I don't have a musket (yet) and really wanted to expand the hobby a bit. Shot cartridges might follow but I imagine they will look the same.

cartridge is folded mid roll in a flap between ball and powder, and took a bit of a ahistoral detour by tucking the flap into the seem for a smaller cartridge. Only watched 2 videos on it.

20210416_155545.jpg

What's a good type of paper to use for cartridges like this? Is the type of paper significant?

I tried using copy paper but personally it felt too thick and "fake" so I went with coffee filters. The kind I got felt great, but probably a tad bit too thin so I double layered them. They have a nice old feel to them and you get hundreds for like $2 at walmart. They don't cut exactly out to the 5.5/5.25/6/3, but close enough for me.

Beware they will smolder and smoke on the ground, and make sure you stomp them out before you leave the range.

Update! The paper cartridges worked very well. Despite being a slight rain me and another forum member here were able to ring a gong at 20 yards and put a few holes in other useless objects. Despite the amount of water around no sailing vessels were sighted and no prize was taken.

Making paper cartridges for my Brown Bess, I use pages out of old books that nobody wants at yard sales. Only older ones without slick pages. I might give nitrated paper a try. I don't particular like the string I use. What type of string are you using?

Back