• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

?'s on best caliber, somethin i read

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally I shoot a 54 back in the 90's a range officer (both shoot and hunt with flintlocks) and another patrol officer told me go with the 54 if you want the best ballistics from a side lock (in lines were just becoming popular) Anyway I speculate from my casting experiences and what occurred with the Donner party that is is just a task to cast a good ball with a small amount of lead and a big ball when it is cold out. I have done it with a big pot of 15 lb of lead in January but half went back in the pot.

After several years and many different rifles my selection of a chosen caliber, resulted from a lot of testing using the criteria of: Reliably Consistent Accuracy, Maximum Effective Range and Knock Down Power.

In other words the caliber that was least affected by "powder fouling", "loading variables", with the "flattest trajectory", while delivering heavy knock-down power down range.

The smallest caliber I tested was .36 and the largest was .62. Over time fouling killed my interest in .36 and .45 calibers, while the rainbow trajectory of a .62 was unacceptable. Even though the .50 is probably the most popular, I personally have never been fond of that caliber.

Needless to say, my personal choice is the venerable .54

The Ballistics Coefficient( drag factor) for the .50 caliber is .068: for the .62, its .084. Its the lower drag factor- it goes down as the BC goes up-- that accounts for a .62 Cal. barrel having a lower arc( trajectory) if shot at the same velocity as the smaller .50 cal. RB. ( The BC on a 6.5 MM bullet used for 1,000 yd range shooting is well in excess of .500!, for example!)

You know, in the early 1800's the mountain men went west with 32cals! They found the game too big and ornery(elk, moose, and grizzly)

Not sure which mountain men went west with "32cals". Maybe none since they did not use the term caliber or measure in caliber. They used what we now refer to as gauge or balls per pound of lead that would fit any particular bore. So, in the early 19th century, a "32" was just between a 52 and 53 cal gun.

If bigger is/was better, why didnt the Hawken Bros. just go straight to the 62cal? I mean, they were dealin with Grizz' back then, why just go from the 32cal infantry rounds to a 50cal! There were even Hawkens in the 30cal range but damn it was a Hawken right?

What infantry guns were 32cal? :confused: The 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle was a .54.

I'm no expert on Hawken built rifles but do know that they built some squirrel caliber rifles probably for the local St Louis trade. By the time the Hawken rifles were being built it was common knowledge that a large bore gun was needed in the Rockies.

In any case, neither of your above two quotes or my comments on them are even germain to your original question. Zonie gave you the perfect answer. You should read it through several times!

"If bigger is/was better, why didn't the Hawken Bros. just go straight to the 62cal? I mean, they were dealin with Grizz' back then, why just go from the 32cal infantry rounds to a 50cal! There were even Hawkens in the 30cal range but damn it was a Hawken right?"

The reason not many .62 cal. rifles went West, made by Hawkens or anyone else, is that they used too much lead and powder, both items that were difficult to obtain, and very difficult to transport from St. Louis, or St. Joseph Missouri, West a thousand miles on horseback, to the Rockies, where the trappers spent a whole YEAR living and trapping before they could resupply the next Spring.

The .54 caliber guns, and the "Lighter" .50s( 37-39 "bores"), Proved to be the right "Compromise" between weight of ball for good penetration, and the amount of powder needed per round fired. That allowed "mountain men" to be able to transport enough lead, powder and caps to last them for a year.

There are documented cases of MM using larger caliber guns in the West, but the larger calibers show up after the Government began establishing forts along the Upper Missouri River, and Trappers could re-supply, and ship their furs back East on Steamships. the presence of the forts ended the Rendezvous system of re-supply in about 1842.

When the Beaver market collapsed, some of these MM tried to make a living supplying meat to the railroad, killing buffalo, and later killed buffalo for the hides. In the late days of the MLing era, before more powerful Breechloading Cartridge guns were readily available, these large bore mlers were the most efficient tool available for killing buffalo, and the cost per Round Fired was actually cheaper until the .50-70 cartridge came around- available as a military cartridge in 1866.

Yep, it all boils down to efficiency. Balancing out lead, powder, recoil, range, power and ease of casting favors (even if only a little) the .54 over larger and smaller bores. I have cast countless thousands of handgun bullets and round ball. It's no problem getting a nice, smooth, consistent ball up to and including .54. But for the life of me I can't seem to cast really good ball of .58 and up without a good percentage having to be culled due to wrinkles. .54s cast fine from the very first one.

hanshi said:
But for the life of me I can't seem to cast really good ball of .58 and up without a good percentage having to be culled due to wrinkles. .54s cast fine from the very first one.

Interesting, and I think more than coincidence. I've noticed the same dividing line regarding size and pour, but write it off as a call for a slight change in technique. I learned (or was told) that by pouring off-center to one side of the sprue hole, you cause a "swirl" in the lead inside the mold, compared to centering the pour. Whatever the explanation, it sure worked for me to pay attention to that little detail.

Granting we're both using lead and molds hot as they should be, I had virtually no wrinkles in casting 600 .562 balls and 250 .575 balls, and only a very slight increase in % when I moved on to cast 200 .600 and 200 .715 balls. Call it something like 2%, or 4 or 5 balls in the .600 and .715 batches.

Just an unsolicited tip.

I'll keep that in mind BB. Big ball has always been a little trying for me when casting for really good ones. Thanks.

To cast good balls in the .62 mold we had, we had to open up the diameter of the sprue plate HOLE to let more lead in the mold, faster. Once we did that, we got nice looking balls.

Increase the heat of the lead, in the pot, too, and don't worry about casting frosted balls. They shoot just fine.

I can't say this will solve your problems, but it worked for us. It seemed that any time we were casting bullets or balls that weighed more than 250 grains, we needed to open the pour hole up a bit to get the lead into the mold before it cooled down enough to produce wrinkles. We didn't have to open the holes up much- one or two Numbered drill bit sizes- and we went up slowly until the wrinkled balls stopped.

I know this topic had taken a tangent but were most moulds back then brass or iron or steel?

I cant for the life of me reason in my own mind why people mention the superior trajectory of the .54 over the .58. All my muzzleloaders have open sights. So the range for me is a max 100 yards. Trajectory doesent come into play at the distances these guns are used. Any resonable charge of about 100-110 grains in a .58 will get you 1500 to 1600 or more depending on the powder and shoot plenty flat enough out to 100 to hold dead on and achieve penetration at the end of that 100 yards.
So the argument about trajectory is moot IMO.
Just my 2 cents.
not meant to flame anyone

Soft iron was used when it was available. If a rifle was made in the Colonies, or later in the new States, the gunbuilder would often make a mold to fit that particular gun barrel, and it then was included in the sale of the gun.

Brass was also used, in the 18th century, and probably earlier.

Steel doesn't show up in this kind of equipment until well into the 19th century( 1840s on.) Even then, what they called " steel" would be considered pretty soft stuff by today's standards. They were able to add Carbon to the Iron to make it harder, but it was more years before the science of metallurgy became advanced enough to permit adding additional metal to the iron to from Alloys we know today. In fact, the science of metallurgy was being advanced right through the entire 20th century. For instance, we now have some bronze alloys that are as strong as some of the early Iron products made 200 years ago.

mnbearbaiter said:
You know, in the early 1800's the mountain men went west with 32cals! They found the game too big and ornery(elk, moose, and grizzly :surrender: ), and wanted somethin bigger! The 50cal was huge by their standards then, but now we dont even recommend anything less than a 54cal for elk or larger in our world! Shot placement is key, and defense from Grizz' is basically obsolete! The article was based more of the lob factor of larger PRB's i think, to me bigger is only better to a certain point!

Calibers.... Remember that back in the day rifles were calibrated in balls to the pound NOT in ball diameter. The 53-54 caliber uses a 32 to the pound ball.
Caliber depends on the usage.
My 16 bore rifle shoots flatter than a 54 to 200 yards since the larger ball carries better. If I use enough powder
It also uses a lot more powder, kicks harder and makes much bigger holes in animals.

In the west ranges were far longer than in the east. The larger calibers increased the range. Also there were larger critters out here.

Why the 54? One supposition is that it used the same ball size as the 24 bore trade gun. The 1/2 ounce ball was a trade item. Kinda the 30-06 of its day. So if the mould was lost ammo could still be obtained.
Thats one explanation.
The reason the plains rifles were not usually 20 or 16 to the pound was WEIGHT. 5 pounds of lead cast into 20 gauge balls produces 100 rounds of ammo. 32 to the pound it makes 160 rounds. 50 rounds of 20 (or worse 16) to the pound balls is a lot heavier the 50 rounds of 32 or 40 to the pound. AND to get decent trajectories for the longer ranges in the west the larger bores take more powder. It takes 140 gr of FF Swiss to get a one ounce ball to 1600-1650 fps from my 30" barreled rifle. 50 caliber will do it on about 65 gr maybe less of fff. But 75-90 will make it shoot flat for deer to 130 yards or a tad farther. 90-100 in a 54 same thing.
A deer shot in the lungs, or a buffalo or an elk, will die shot with the 50-54-62 or .67. So why pack the extra powder and lead? The typical western rifle of 1830 would kill large game to about 200 yards in the hands of someone who knew how to use it. So the larger ball sizes simply were not used. Think this is a long shot? A friend who has shot and hunted with an original S Hawken rifle that was actually used "back in the day" states that it appears to be sighted for about 180 yards.
I had mentioned to him that this certain rifle had a pretty high rear sight and a low front sight and appeared by this evidence to have a long range zero. He then told me that the gun had been in his possession at one time and it was sighted so high that shooting at a deers heart at about 80 yards broke its back and this and some other shooting indicated what would be a very long range zero by modern standards.

The frontier rifleman was generally a minimalist. He was not out there to prove anything he was interested in feeding and protecting himself and doing it without having to use a packhorse just to carry the lead he was going to shoot.

HOWEVER. William Drummond Stewart claimed that his 20 more Manton killed more game on less powder and lead at the 1833(?) Rendezvous than the smaller American rifles. But maybe he was less bleary eyed than some of the trappers were??

I have hunted with rifles using .495, .535, .570 and .662 Rbs. There is a step up from the 40 to the pound .495 to the 32 to the pound 535. Not so much going to the 570 and a BIG step up going to the 16 to the pound .662 ball. BUT...
I have shot deer with the .662 making a huge hole where the heart was and the deer still ran 55 yards. If you shot a deer with the 50 and it ran about the same distance would you see any point in using the 437 gr ball in place of the 180 grain ball?
Now if shooting elk or moose or buffalo or dangerous game the .662 is a much more effective killer. When running around in "occupied Gbear habitat" its kinda nice to have. But I have and likely still will use the 50 in the same areas.
If you hunt in the east and have worries about tracking or the game getting on the wrong side of the fence then use a bigger ball. But for the HC standpoint eastern rifles over 50 caliber AS MADE were not all that common. In the west early 50 was likely pretty common, 44s to 50s were a good all around usable caliber for the time and place. But most Colonial guns have been recut. But eventually it seems the 54 became as standard as one could expect at the time. Oh yes it was the caliber for military rifles from 1803 till about 1855 so it really was the "30-06" of its time.

Bronze. I remember reading in a book published by Congress on the conduct of the war (Civil War) that the only cannon with no failure rate was the bronze guns. I think the wrought iron rifles were pretty good too. The cast iron guns were pretty scary as were some of the large naval guns. They never did get this completely resolved in ML guns. Good bronze of the right alloy has been in use for ship and land artillery for a long time, but its a budget buster cost wise.
I would not want a bronze barrel on a rifle though.

Dan

mnbearbaiter said:
:yakyak: I read somewhere that the best muzzleloader caliber is the might 54 over all others for downrange trajectory and such, is this true? The article said that the big boys of 58-62cal just dont have it at the longer ranges(100yds), like the 54 does! The article claimed that the 54 retained alot more energy and trajectory, not to mention a little less recoil than the big boomers! Suppose nobody knows of a dead elk that wants to add his 2cents do they :surrender:

I agree and feel that the .54 is THE GREAT calibur! :thumbsup:

There are some guys that make BIG bore guns that handle 150-200grs of powder, shooting a roundball, with the proper twist.

That will smoke a 54 every time.

What Paul/Zonie said about how things slow down vs veloicity/ballistic coefficient. The bigger the ball, the better it retains energy.

If you really want to shoot far, get a Whitworth or Gibbs, using a conical (.45" / about 100g ffg).

If you are hunting, just practice will help more than a new gun....

Back