• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP loads&ballistics, etc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There have been many threads asking such questions as what are the ballistics of my .54, or what load should I use for deer, or how does my load compare to the good ol' .30-30, what loads did the old timers use, etc. Let me address the last first--old time loads. We have already seen the reports that lead/powder was shipped in a 2:1 ratio; allowing for priming, spillage and extra cushion, the max load for the old timers had to be less than half the ball weight (e.g., 178 gr .490 ball, load under 89gr max load--say 85 gr allowing for priming). Another old rule of thumb was to cup the hand and cover the ball with powder. Muzzleblasts Mag had a study in it in the July 2004 issue about this: it seems this load size is dependent on hand size--for an average man (today)the load derived this way fro a .54 ball is 70.5 gr ffg. The average man's hand was smaller in the old days. [for a .45 the load was 42.6 gr fffg.] Another old estimate was that the best load is typically 1.5 times the bore diameter (ignoring the decimel)--for example--for a .50 rifle, the load would be 75 grs. From everything I have read the old timers thought little about ballistics compared to us who are bombarded with it in modern days, but they probably had crude ideas about it and "loaded for bear" meant they charged up over their typical loads. The .30-30 literally means a .30 bullet powered by 30 grs powder. This little pill was the death knell for the older BP cartridges because of its 'flat' trajectory and killing power--yet today we think of it as obsolete and gunwriters tout all kinds of magnums. It has killed thousands (millions) of deer and is often the standard we use today as the 'minimum' 100 yd cartridge for ballistic comparisons--so it is fair to bring it up. It shoots rings around our roundball ML loads, folks, but other factors step in to save us. First, the .30-30 spits out a 170 gr bullet (cf to .49 ball)at 2200 fps MV. At 100 yds the .30 bullet is travelling 1895 fps and retains 1355 ft-lbs of energy. These 100 yd numbers are equivalent or higher than the muzzle numbers for even stout .50 ML rifles. For example, out of a 32" barrel, a .50 rifle (Lyman data)loaded with 90 grs fffg Goex has 1891 MV and 1427 ft-lbs ME, but at 100 yds the .50's roundball drops off to 464 ft-lbs energy, a third of that of a .30-30. Ballistics: for what it is worth category. Lets look at the popular .54 rifle. Lets say you can start the roundball off at about 1600 fps [for a 30" barrel that is about 100 gr fffg, for a 43" barrel it is about 80 gr fffg). For a .535 roundball (Lyman data) at 1600 fps MV, ME = 1307 ft-lbs; at 50 yds, V =1216 fps, E = 756 ft-lbs; at 75 yds, V =1074 fps, E = 590 ft-lbs; at 100 yds, V =980 fps, E = 490 ft-lbs. Drop from zero at the muzzle is 2" at 50 yds, 5" at 75 yds and 10" at 100 yds. zeroed at 50 yds, the ball drops 5" at 100 yds. A 10 mph wind will blow the ball off 10" at 100 yds. I could go on (get your own Lyman book :)). The .30-30 by the way, zeroed at 100 drops only 3" at 150 yds. Clearly the BP ML does not favorably compare to even the least of the modern deer cartridges when raw ballistics are used. So what? Our forefathers slew uncounted deer and larger game with reduced loads in their MLers. Millions of hides were shipped from the woods to the coast and to Europe. Clearly the ML roundball kills plenty good enough AT CLOSE RANGE with well-placed shots. Roundball has said part of it--the frontal area of a .50+ ball makes a big wound channel. In modern rounds, velocity is counted on to make a big wound channel with hydrostatic shock waves--but slower moving big caliber bullets can do the job (as the FBI pistol round tests proved) In fact we should compare most of out BP rifle loads to modern high power pistol rounds like the .44 mag to get similar ballistic results.

as a follow-up: let's look at some data comparing calibers everything else equal. For simplicity I chose 32" barrel data. For 'heavy' hunting loads I selected 1800 fps muzzle velocity for all calibers. Below are the remaining energies at 50 yds (a typical deer range in the woods):
.350 ball=200 ftlbs--requires 45 g fffg
.445 ball=500 ftlbs-- " 60 g fffg
.495 ball=736 ftlbs-- " 85 g fffg
.535 ball=966 ftlbs-- " 115 g fffg
.562 ball=1151 ftlbs-- " est 190+ g fffg (charts don't go that high).
Obviously the .50s are better than the smaller balls at retaining clean killing energies at 50 yds, but the big balls like the .562 (what I shot in my .58 Hawken rifle) require a big load....You can see why the .54 is so popular--decent retained energy at 50 yds with a moderate load--the 115 grs isn't necessary to get good energies at 50 yds with the .54. With 90 gr fffg you can get 750+ ftlbs at 50 yds from the 32" barrel. The 80 gr load in my 42" barrel may equal that.

another interesting result: take the 32" barrel, what load does it take to have 750 ftlbs of retained energy at 50 yds from different calibers?
.350--no can do with any BP ML load
.445--90 g fffg
.495--65 g fffg
.535--95 gr fffg
.562--130 g fffg

This surprised me a little--the .50 is most efficient!

O.k. I'm confused.How does 750 ft lbs with a 65 grain charge square with this from your previous post about 50 yard energies?

.495 ball=736 ftlbs-- " 85 g fffg

another interesting result: take the 32" barrel, what load does it take to have 750 ftlbs of retained energy at 50 yds from different calibers?
.350--no can do with any BP ML load
.445--90 g fffg
.495--65 g fffg
.535--95 gr fffg
.562--130 g fffg

This surprised me a little--the .50 is most efficient!

I bet it was a typo...should be 85grns

Surely the short reach of a big fat ball is a very good idea in a litigious society, because it's not going to carry on and kill someone 3 miles behind if you miss.

Many states went to shotgun seasons for the same reasons. They let the muzzleloaders in because of the short range round ball ballistics. It was a good idea anyway!

Surely the short reach of a big fat ball is a very good idea in a litigious society, because it's not going to carry on and kill someone 3 miles behind if you miss.

True. Of course where I have hunted much of my life the woods are so dense that a bullet would have trouble going more than 100 yards, but in theory you are right. Nowadays in this neck of the woods, too, most hunters shoot from elevated tree stands down at deer typically under 75 yds away, a miss impacting well within 100 yds. Still we have accidents, mostly due to foolishness. A couple years ago a squirrel 'hunter' shot an archer out of a tree--said he thought he was a squirrel! Another fellow shot his best friend--who was wearing tan Carhart clothes (read deer color) while deer hunting together! Even the scoped rifle has not lessened stupidity alot...you would think that a person in red would not be mistaken for a deer through a scope at 100 yds with a white snow backdrop...but I was repeatedly aimed at by a 'hunter' once who sighted at me through his telescopic sighted deer rifle several times before making up his mind that I was not fair game....

When you seeing one aiming at you like that they will usually stop if they see you aiming back.

Bet so. I had to shoot back once, but that is another story and it wasn't a hunter. Fortunately he missed me by a foot or so. Three times.

:hmm:Very interesting, Mike :thanks: Sam Fadala writes that he thinks the .54 is arguably the best compromise between roundball mass and velocity for reasons you've stated.

Mike, as an aside, you mentioned the 44 mag as a comparable to our muzzleloaders. Something that has always struck me as amusing is how a lot of writers of modern firearms will deride the 30-30 as nearly inadequate for deer sized game but will sing the praises of the 44 mag. A cursory look at the ballistics for both will show the ballistic superiority of the 30-30. Now I know the entire gamut of paper ballistics and how the 44 starts out larger than the 30-30 can expand to....I've taken several deer with a 45 Colt handgun and have used the 44 mag successfully also. It's just that the old 30-30 is more than adequate and hasn't gotten a fair shake from the modern gunwriters.

Vic

Back