• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RWS 1075 Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put the nipple in a drill & file the side at an angle till the cap slides on & off. file the top only a very little. and that should get you out of the woods?

that is what I did on a pair of my snub nose .44 Piettas. It improved ignition to about 85% and for plinking that is enough. Just borrowed a set of Pietta new style main springs and will see how they work. The 1075 caps work 100% on my GR Plains rifle, but that hammer makes the hammer of Thor look puny.
Respectfully
Bunk
I have a made from parts, some might consider it a Frank N. Hawken, rifle. The original lock was a Cherry Corners lock, perhaps the most authentic of the 1970's Hawken locks on the market. Eventually that mainspring broke. The closest replacement was an L&R Late English mainspring. It is probably pretty close to being the spring for Mjolnir. I have the Hot shot nipple on my rifle. Out of curiosity, I tried a CCI #10 cap. It would barely sit on top of the cone. Sure enough, the rifle fired every #10 cap I tried. Things just have to be balanced out.

I have a CVA mountain rifle and you need to have a perfectly fit cap on that very clean of fouling cone for it to fire reliably on the first strike.

1075 plus & CCI Magnums needed a second strike on an Uberti & Pedersoli Remington NMA….with stock or Treso nipples . Remington 10s work fine .
1075 plus work well on a Pietta REmington NMA with stock nipples & Colt 1860 2nd Gen with slixshots . 1075 plus work well on Ped 12Ga sxs but fit a bit loose.
I think that’s more a taper issue with the 1075’s than a diameter issue. We buy after market nipple by the screw thread size, but wonder if there is any industry standard for taper.
as I posted above I adjusted that to fit the RWS.

I think that’s more a taper issue with the 1075’s than a diameter issue. We buy after market nipple by the screw thread size, but wonder if there is any industry standard for taper.
as I posted above I adjusted that to fit the RWS.
I agree … but rather than file etc a nipple for Each batch of caps , I found caps that seemed to fit & work .. I think the Colt & Pietta springs are stronger in my guns.
Also the cone length for replacement nipples seems important to me . I bought some Treso nipples that were shorter than stock & I doubt that helps.

I agree … but rather than file etc a nipple for Each batch of caps , I found caps that seemed to fit & work .. I think the Colt & Pietta springs are stronger in my guns.
Also the cone length for replacement nipples seems important to me . I bought some Treso nipples that were shorter than stock & I doubt that helps.
I agree there. I have such a large quantity of the 1075’s it was worth the effort to modify the nipples on a few of my most often used revolvers. And the CCI 11’s, although a bit looser now, still work.

So, like most BP percussion shooters, I’m always on The hunt for #10 and # 11 percussion caps. I found on Gunbroker a couple of sellers with RWS 1075 caps and they apparently fit both 10 and 11 nipples. The RWS verbiage even goes so far as to say that they “fit better and perform better than CCI and Remington 10 and 11 caps.

I have no experience with these RWS caps and am seeking guidance here.

Howdy F.G.,
Round 'bout month ago, I found that fella (Ryan) on Gun Broker too. That was Jan 11th. Had to wait to 27th to get delv. I ordered one tin, which was 250 caps. Total price as I recall was nearly 80 dollar, (includin' tax and shippin'). NUTS... Well that was before I started a learnin' about makin' my own caps! - Which I'm doing now for PENNIES, and happy as the proverbial clam. Dang fun too! I'll do a post on it soon, you can also find lots of videos on YouTube about it also.
Kind Regards, Andy

Just got two tins of 1075s in the mail today... they fit just fine and fire hard on my traditions deer hunter. They are a smidge tighter then my cci's but in a good way... those are pretty loose imo.

I have a GPR in the mail and hopefully they work just as well on that one.

This cap and nipple thing looks like trying to make the foot fit the shoe rather than the shoe fit the foot.
Having said that I am not going to mess with my Slixshot nipples to fit the 1075 cap. Those nipples are very expensive and may very well be made from unobtainium. My caps are in sufficient supply for now.
Therefor my choice is to use to a stronger main spring for a harder hammer fall and live with second strikes.
A set of TOW nipples made for CCI#11 caps did not work but heavy mainsprings are on the bench so we shall see.
Gee reinventing a antique wheel is fun...sort of fun.
Respectfully
Bunk

These were the only caps I could find when I got started. I have been using them in my Pedersoli SxS 12 gauge. They fit perfectly on the nipples, not too tight to get them on and tight enough not to fall off. Of some hundred shots or so, I have had one mis-fire. I believe that was due to oil blocking the nipple hole from an excessive amount I had in there to protect the breech area.

I’m not at all sure after market nipples are a necessity. One 1851 Navy had a hodge lodge of nipples on it so I replaced them with TOW ordinary ones. Other than that all of my 20 or so revolvers have the standard what ever the manufacture equipped them with nipples.
I shoot an average of 100+ shots a week some more some less for a good 40+ weeks of the year. Depending on the cap brand, CCI, Remington or RWS second hammer strikes can and do happen occasionally.

The four ROA’s are the most reliable with any brand and rarely shatter a cap. The rest I get various degrees of cap destruction.
I did modify several of the most used revolvers to more reliably use the RWS pluses because I had 7000 of them in stock. And I’ve yet to wear out a set of nipples.

Competition shooter, hunters, those few using percussion revolvers for home defense, sure, worth the $40 or so, it that’s the cause of misfires.

This cap and nipple thing looks like trying to make the foot fit the shoe rather than the shoe fit the foot.
Having said that I am not going to mess with my Slixshot nipples to fit the 1075 cap. Those nipples are very expensive and may very well be made from unobtainium. My caps are in sufficient supply for now.
Therefor my choice is to use to a stronger main spring for a harder hammer fall and live with second strikes.
A set of TOW nipples made for CCI#11 caps did not work but heavy mainsprings are on the bench so we shall see.
Gee reinventing a antique wheel is fun...sort of fun.
Respectfully
Bunk
Heavy OEM springs are installed on two of my Pietta snub nose revolvers. As soon as this nasty, wet, cold, rainy weather goes by I will know more. So far it seems a very clean nipple (Slixshot) is important for reliability.
Respectfully
Bunk

Yeah, the RWS 1075 are good caps.

But i have thousands of Remington and CCI caps: i don't have to re-work the nipple to make those caps work. Those CCI and Remington caps fire the rifle every time except whenever i forget the powder. :doh:

Never had misfire on clean or fairly clean nipples, rifle or pistol, when I do it is from continuous shooting, and as with all black powder guns continuous shooting starts to crud things up. When at the range shooting a lot I take a spray bottle with alcohol and an old toothbrush and clean the nipples before the crud builds up to any degree to cause a cap problem.

I have picked up a thousand or two every so often as well. I’m shooting the RWS now on everything but saving the Remington tens for my special pistols. The ones that absolutely must run perfectly without fail. I have maybe 2000 tens left.
I think I've got around the same amount of remmys maybe a tad more if you count rem 11's but about 2k rem tens.
Maybe 4500 rws left, they are good caps... Way hotter then Remington 10's though I don't like the fit as well

Out of all my percussion guns, 30 of them, RWS 1175 caps fit without any modification to the nipples, except an old original over under mule ear rifle/smooth bore, made by J. Withers which used #12 caps that haven't been made in decades. Of course that doesn't include the musket caps which are also RWS.

Out of all my percussion guns, 30 of them, RWS 1175 caps fit without any modification to the nipples, except an old original over under mule ear rifle/smooth bore, made by J. Withers which used #12 caps that haven't been made in decades. Of course that doesn't include the musket caps which are also RWS.
I have seen #12 Remington caps for sale on Gunbroker. Reasonable prices too. FYI…

Back