• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

routing ramrod channel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weum817

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you guys use to route 5/16" ramrod channels in? I can't find a 5/16" router bit anywhere, does anyone have a source?
Thanks

If you are talking about the underside of the forestock, the groove that is exposed, I bought some mini-planes from Harbor Freight Tools. I then used a reciprocating saw blade and made a new plane with an elongated and rounded (parabola shape) nose to plane the groove. I leave the forestock square and clamp metal bars (rails) so the plane moves straight back and forth. You can plane out the groove pretty fast. I then use a slightly smaller diameter dowel- wrap sand paper- and finish it.

Just use a 5/16 dia ball end mill which can be purchased at tool supply houses....Fred

I would not use a router with a fence. One twitch and the stock is ruined.

I would use a milling machine.

If I did not have a milling machine I would make a "router" as defined before electric motors got added. A traditional router is a special plane with a fence. You can make a scraper with a fence. I would make the groove undersized then bring up to the final size with sandpaper and dowels.

On the router- aren't you going to have to stop about 3 1/2" short of the entry pipe area?

I was just going to ask the same thing... It's not difficult to do with a gouge, and compared to how long it might take to set everything up with a router or milling machine it may not take that much longer.

SOMETIMES...but when the elbows are tired, a set of guides, and a small router will zip it out straight and correct depth....
then there's my small wood planes...rasps....and files.....
then the big boys have mill machines setup....

as long as it's straight, and good depth~ :surrender:

MARC N TOMTOM

if you look in The Gunsmith of Grenville County, by Peter Alexander, there's a really good description of how to make a scratch cutter, and then how to finish it with a bit of dowel which holds the thing straight whilst the sandpaper does it's work. very clever ... he also describes how to keep the bit straight as it goes in past the rod entry hole... well worth a read!

good luck with your project!

I finally found a 5/16" round nose bit for a router. It's made by Dimar. You'll have to find a commercial supplier, not general retailer. Check with small millwork or cabinet shops, or commercial sharpening services.
Depending on your woodworking skills, some sort of a template guide would be your best bet to be sure you get the cut you need. If you haven't done this before, practice on scrap or do as the hand-work guys suggest. :wink:
Paul

OK, well best of luck. A hand guided modern router is the wrong tool for this job. Using a conventional hardware store router to do a ramrod channel has about a 99% risk of disaster IMHO.

IF you must please use two fences to trap the bit in the middle. You are working with a squared off band sawed blank?

On a rounded off blank you will destroy it. I would certainly use a bit smaller than my ramrod. Trying to cut it to size, with a hand guided router, will not work.

The scratch plane is the way to do this. It can be made for free. Best of luck.

Back