• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifles for lefties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot left-handed. Growing up no one else did so all family guns were right handed.
I've continued to buy/use right-hand rifles for 40 + years because all 4 of my kids shoot right-hand. You get used to it.

My muzzleloader is a right-hand .54 cal Investarms Hawken. Only downside is occasional fire on the right forearm.

TOW frequently has custom made left handed rifles in stock. They are more expensive than the Lyman and TVA rifles but usually less expensive than the right hand custom made guns. Limited market. If the budget allows, I would certainly take a look at their site on a regular basis.

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread.

Do any of you left handed shooters here find that the cheek piece on right handed rifles give you a problem or any discomfort when shooting?

Just curious since as a fellow left hand shooter, I find that most muzzleloader rifles I want have the cheek piece set up for right handed shooters. I don't imagine it's a huge deal. Maybe feel a bit odd?

I'm a right hand shooter and have a left hand rifle. The cheek piece is on the wrong side for me but presents no problem when I shoot it. It handles like a rifle without a cheek piece for me. I have thought about removing the cheek piece, but the stock is so nice decided to leave it alone.

It doesn't cause a problem at all, though in a backward kind of way I still had to deal with it.

Got used to shooting a righty GPR left handed, the way the sights/stock lined up with no cheek piece at all. When I finally got a lefty GPR, the cheek piece seemed way out of place, or maybe a mile too thick. I ended up reducing mine until it was only about 1/2" thick at the bottom, in other words cutting it down by around 50%. Now it feels right to me, but that still could be the leftovers from shooting so long with no cheek piece on that particular model.

I am left handed too but trained myself to shoot right handed too. Today, like back in the old days, the makers dont care about us 10 percenters. But left hand guns are out there. Pedersoli has them, so does Lyman I believe. Track offers left handed kits. Custom makers can make whatever you want in a lefty configuration. I am in the process of scratch making a lefty Tulle musket for someone as we speak

It's discrimination I tell yah. Is there an office to apply for weekly assistance with the higher gun prices?

Darn that had to be tough...!! :bow:
Good for you. I'm also a leftie. I have a right-hand T/C flintlock I shoot just fine off the bench, but can't do much with it offhand. I shoot a T/C caplock offhand real well...but the flint eludes me. I've considered trying to switch for the flintlock as it's a "family rifle" I'll never sell, and would like to get more enjoyment out of it. Your post gives me hope that such a switch might be possible. :wink:

With a .58 TC I'm gonna see if the Mag-Spark stops heavy charges making my right arm feel like some maniacal medieval doctor applied fire ants to it instead of leeches. If it works the .58 Hawken might end up being the foul weather piece.

Reckon I will keep it a .58. Just tired of getting the speckled tattoos.
Got another .58 that's one of the GM drop-ins that I haven't shot but hey, can you have too many .58's?
:hmm:

The tattoos do get tiresome, that's why went leftie.I think the question really is can you have too many guns?

Well, I don't know. Sometimes they get lonely and you can feel guilty for not having enough quality time.

I hadn't considered that, excellent point. We could strive to give them all equal time, yes?

Back