• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefty shooter using right-handed flintlock??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I shoot left-handed. I lucked out and found a used, left-hand percussion rifle when I first wanted to try muzzleloading a few years ago. I’d now like to try a flintlock. I see very few used, left-handed flinters for sale-at least at the price I want to pay to just “try it out”. Do any of you lefties ( there’s gotta be a few of you!) use a right-handed flintlock, left-handed? I always wear shooting glasses, if that makes a difference.

I shoot left-handed. I lucked out and found a used, left-hand percussion rifle when I first wanted to try muzzleloading a few years ago. I’d now like to try a flintlock. I see very few used, left-handed flinters for sale-at least at the price I want to pay to just “try it out”. Do any of you lefties ( there’s gotta be a few of you!) use a right-handed flintlock, left-handed? I always wear shooting glasses, if that makes a difference.
I’ve shot right hand flintlocks left handed for around 50 years with no problems. No difference to shooting a flint double gun.

Lots of threads on this topic of late. Every lefty out there says they can, have and do shoot righties. Now the problem is a righty just does not seem to be able to shoot a lefty. Go figure.....no issues seriously. Just do it......

Some rifles have too much cast off to be comfortable shooting from the left side. Other than that, not an issue if you wear your safety squints. The rocket nozzle vents over the right shoulder and to me it's easier to wipe and prime the pan that's on my side of the rifle than across it.

I’ve shot right hand flintlocks left handed for around 50 years with no problems. No difference to shooting a flint double gun.

I primarily shoot rifles left handed. For me shooting a right handed flintlock isn't an issue. Obviously it's not always going to be the optimal choice but with some time and patience you shouldn't have an issue.
Same here. Lyman used to make a LH flintlock Deerstalker so you might be able to find one. If not get the RH one and go shoot.

ALL of us right handers that have shot SxS flinters, have one of two locks, on the left side of the stock which is on the right side of our face when shooting. No worries there either. ;)

LD

I am a lefty who has been shooting rt hand flintlocks for over 40 years. Just try to get one with least amount of cast and shoot away. My current. 54 tvm and .62 custom smoothbore are rt handed flintlocks and shoot great.
Mwal

As long as the sights are on top and trigger on the bottom it makes no difference where the hammer is.
IMG_0365 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
I am a lefty and the one gun I will not shoot is a side hammer mule ear thing. Cap debris flying sidewise is just looking for a place to fly and inbed somewhere on my handsome face. Even with safety glasses no thanks not interested.

Well, I proved it to myself on Saturday, 2nd day of deer season, when I dropped a large doe, using my left-handed TC cap lock ,right-handed! I didn’t notice the hammer falling/cap popping any more than if I’d shot it left-handed!

No problem at all

You literally will not notice the difference. I am a lefty and I got rid of my left handed flintlock a while ago. All of my guns are right handed now...When I had the lefty gun my right handed brother shot it all the time without noticing anything. Just to show it works both ways lol. It is so much easier to just go with righty guns.

Back