• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artificer said:
GoodCheer said:
What a shame nobody made rifled drop-ins for Bess's.
Could give a whole new meaning to self propelled artillery.

In a way, they sort of did. The first model of the Baker rifle resembled the Brown Bess and was in .75 caliber. It was rejected due to weight and most likely the recoil as well.

Gus

The recoil issue, that's what the US experienced with the .69 rifles. It makes me wonder along the lines of, ah ha, it was fine when management could blame inaccuracy on the smooth bore but now it's rifled and now you want us to hit something, oh now you care about our shoulders!
:rotf:

And that reminds me, there's some lock work to do on the .69 Fremont rifle. Cured the goofy windage problem with the non-adjustable front sight. Time to get ready to dial it in with the modified minie mold.

GoodCheer said:
Artificer said:
GoodCheer said:

In a way, they sort of did. The first model of the Baker rifle resembled the Brown Bess and was in .75 caliber. It was rejected due to weight and most likely the recoil as well.

Gus

The recoil issue, that's what the US experienced with the .69 rifles. It makes me wonder along the lines of, ah ha, it was fine when management could blame inaccuracy on the smooth bore but now it's rifled and now you want us to hit something, oh now you care about our shoulders!
:rotf:

Yes, but the Baker "Musket Bore" Model still used round balls. Putting .69 cal. Minie' Balls in lighter weight smoothbore musket barrels must be a real joy to shoot. :rotf:

I shot a friends M1861 Navy Rifle a few times with a .69 Minie' Ball and shortly decided I did not want one to generally shoot.

Gus

GoodCheer said:
The first British Rifled Musket,,, The Minie Rifle was 70 or 72 cal and used the Minie Bullet, against the Russians in the Crimea War

poordevil said:
GoodCheer said:
The first British Rifled Musket,,, The Minie Rifle was 70 or 72 cal and used the Minie Bullet, against the Russians in the Crimea War

Indeed, the P1851 Enfield. However, it was rather quickly dropped to .577 Caliber with the P1853.

Gus

You know you're going to get this thread locked if you don't go back to discussions about rifled muskets. Plenty of other places to talk about modern weapons...this isn't one of them. :td:

Twisted_1in66
Dan

Back