• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Model 1816 Springfield Musket, Belgian/cone-in conversion $175

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the hammer is original to the conversion, as it seemes homemade.

I've got an 1824 Harpers Ferry with a drum conversion and similar hammer.

For potential buyers of your piece, from what I've read that can indicate reworking for Confederate use.

Did you drop a light down the barrel?

For potential buyers of your piece, from what I've read that can indicate reworking for Confederate use.

Thanks for the info! I've not dropped a light down it, just knowing it would be pitted and rough. Made sure it's unloaded. I'll check the bore out with a light tomorrow.

Couldn't get a light down the bore. Dropped a AA battery in it, which got hung in the breech. Bore was so rusty that the light hardly reflected off the battery. Had to use BP solvent to get the battery out, but the solvent didnt have to sit long at all to make it turn loose. Scrubbed the bore just a bit with tow, followed by bore butter on a few rags. I don't want to risk another battery stuck in it, so here's what I can get with my phone camera. This old gun has been through enough torment!

Attachments

• 20240205_195201.jpg
    20240205_195201.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240205_195158.mp4
    28.8 MB
Last edited:
This isn't really something I can buy right now, but as a brand new member here, I purchased a supporter sub just so I could comment here and tell you how cool I think this rifle is. What an amazing piece of history. Probably converted by hand either in this person's own shop, or by a local smith. Beaten to absolute hell and back and repaired to keep it functional. Probably so they could harvest wild game so their family could eat. This is a gun of necessity. Not some safe-queen like so many of us have today, with our multiple firearms that could easily take any game in North America, despite some dude on a forum saying the caliber is sub-optimal because XY and Z ballistic test by their favorite youtube personality. Something they probably cursed because it "never worked quite right", but that they relied on to keep their family safe and fed. Maybe nailed it back together because they had a misfire on a big fat racoon and swung it against a tree in frustration because they couldn't feed their family that night. This is pure American ingenuity and "get stuff done with what you got" spirit at it's finest. If I had a few hundred extra bucks to spend on a display piece I'd snatch this up in a heartbeat. I really hope someone who will appreciate what this is grabs this up.

Call me a hopeless romantic, but this is the most beautiful rifle I've seen up for sale here.
I am buying the story! Thank you. I will tell this when I point out this wall-hanger! Call it sold. Add in $40 for shipping. Sending details by PM. Thank you all, Bill and Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back