• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reworking my T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty wood...

I've stripped and refinished several older Hawken stocks and discovered that same thing myself...the looks of all of them are vastly improved by the process.

Some reveal figure so striking that it's normally found only on higher grade, higher priced stocks...I don't use any stain at all, just several coats of Tru-Oil.

Good job on yours :thumbsup:

I didn't use any stain either on my rifle. I used the Jim Chambers stock finish and it came out great. :thumbsup:

I just used about 6 coats of oil then waxed it to seal it. I seem to like the natural color of the wood better than most stains I've seen, I was greatly surprised to see the beautiful grain in the stock.
If you look close you can see that I replaced the brass lock bolt plate and barrel pin plates with blued iron. Now if I can find an iron butt plate and nose cap I'd have a new rifle :grin: :grin: I already replaced the 28 in barrel with a 32 inch GM drop in .

That came out real nice. Pretty good figured wood too.
I just finished the stock on my $50 Renegade. My first time doing a hand rubbed oil finish. I'm pretty satisfied with the results, getting rid of the chipped and scratched factory finish was a good thing. Unlike yours, mine is straight grained but night and day difference lookwise.

You can get everything you want in Iron from
[url] http://www.thehawkenshop.com/[/url]

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Great sight! How close are these parts to being direct replacements for the factory brass on a T/C?
I'm sure there will be some fitting but would like to keep it to a minimum since I just got the finish on the stock the way
I like it :hmm:

I hope that the pics do the rifle justice
dsc00030.jpg

dsc00029.jpg

dsc00018.jpg

dsc00004.jpg

As you can see I have taken a bunch of wood off the stock to make it a much more comfortable rifle to carry hunting etc. The rifle next to it is my stock T/C Hawken.

A very nice job Badger, I like the squared cheek piece and the way you trimmed the trigger guard makes it look a bit more like the originals.I trimmed some off my fore stock but I've got big hands and kind off like the extra wood up front.

I believe that all of the Iron parts for the T/C Hawken from the Hawken Shop are pretty much as cast.

Did you look at the Cva Mountain Rifle and the T/c Hawken with the Original Hawken Patch Box? I believe catalog immages page two Conversion.

632ec881.jpg
[/img]

Robert

Finnaly got a chance to go sight in the new rifle. after getting a load set up that it liked (50fffg, .490 ball and .015 ox yoke patches) it was shooting a 1" sold hole group at 50 yards with six shots. Couldn't be happier. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back