• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reworked Pedersoli .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryzman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been working on this little rifle for the last few weeks and ive got it almost where i want it... The brass has been antiqued with liver of sulfer and salt and i polished the lock and internals... the stock has been slimmed slightly and refinished with a red stain and about 8 coats of tung oil... the barrel and lock will be browned sometime in the future and the touch hole was opened up a bit... ive fired about 20 rounds out of it and im pleased however the front sight needed a lot of filing to bring up the point of impact... its almost there at 50 meters... another day at the range and i should have a pretty accurate rifle...

20170513_081832.jpg
20170513_081310.jpg
20170513_081424.jpg
20170513_081514.jpg

If it were me, I would replace the front sight blade (3/8 base), make some simple rod pipes out of sheet brass, along with a new hickory ramrod. I wouldn't trust the factory ramming rod one bit.

One thing that screams fix me is the tang/ wood fit. Along with slimming the wrist area down substantially, possibly think about shaping the tang to give it a little style.

I would highly recommend draw filing the barrel flats to smooth the flats and remove the factory stampings.

Also, what type of tung oil did you use for a finish? Did you happen to whisker the stock?

Crewdawg445 said:
If it were me, I would replace the front sight blade (3/8 base), make some simple rod pipes out of sheet brass, along with a new hickory ramrod. I wouldn't trust the factory ramming rod one bit.

One thing that screams fix me is the tang/ wood fit. Along with slimming the wrist area down substantially, possibly think about shaping the tang to give it a little style.

I would highly recommend draw filing the barrel flats to smooth the flats and remove the factory stampings.

Also, what type of tung oil did you use for a finish? Did you happen to whisker the stock?

Hey Crewdawg... ya its a work in progress for sure... i use an aluminum range rod so the ramrod thats on the gun is pretty much just for show... as far as the tang area, i know it needs a bit of work but i made the decision to leave it the way pedersoli did it... but i totally agree it does stand out big time...
when i get the browning solution, probably lmf, i will prep the barrel for sure... and the sights are not horrible but i will consider finding different ones... it shot way low... almost 8 inches at 40 meters... after filing the front sight ive got it almost where i want it at 50 meters...
i have to admit the rifle feels wonderful in the hands... the pictures show a lot of imperfections that are not so obvious in the flesh... its a shooter and with all my guns, a project... but i absolutely agree with you on all points...
i didn't whisker the stock... i think i left it at 160 grit... i will probably refinish again and reshape some more... but for now its making lots of smoke and making me very happy...
as far as the tung oil... its some polish brand you probably would not recognize...

Good to hear, my grandfather built furniture for a living so you'd be surprised!

If you plan to refinish the stock at a later date, I'd recommend using a good wood stripper. Pedersoli does a great job of smothering on that nasty varnish. You'd be very surprised to find just how beautiful the wood is underneath.

Once you completely strip the stock I like to use regular distilled vinager to neutralize any remaining stripper that may be left after hosing the stock completely down.

I then allow the stock to hang and dry away from sunlight for at least a week. Then I whisker the stock utilizing progressively finer wet/dry paper and warm water. The whiskering process will raise the fine grains allowing you to completely obtain a baby bottom smooth finish and allow the grain to pop.

It's starting to look like a pretty nice rifle. Following some of the suggestions posted should give you what you want.

shot some nice groups today at 50 meters... 75 grains of swiss ffg and patched round ball with cleaning bore after each shot... this pedersoli barrel is wonderful so far...
20170516_130810.jpg

I like what you have done. I am actually picking up a Pedersoli .45 just like this one on Friday.

Nice work on this rifle as well as the Pedersoli Trade Rifle you have posted. Thanks

Looking very nice. I decided I might need a new project, hopefully taking a run to the regionals rendezvous tomorrow and hopefully picking up a project flinter for the son in law. As good as your rifle is shooting, I'm glad it will be looking good too.

Back