• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolving Matchlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With that said … I want to make one!

The quest for more than ONE shot is surely fascinating when you look at all the variations and crazy options that people came up with.

Note this one, that I presume is a ’later’ developed one, has sliding pan covers.

52365CA0-1527-4A65-87F1-4DF468744608.jpeg

But of these other revolving matchlocks pictured, note that the revolving section on the 1st (top) one as shown, is a few inches ahead of the pan location.

AC644E05-3583-4B80-9408-E42734C0E227.jpeg

That makes me wonder that in order to shoot that one, would one have to ram the charge that was stored in the revolving section, down into the breech?

I notice that the first one, with the pan covers, has provision for chain fires. The next ball up has an escape path. I think you are right about the other,- the charges have to be rammed into place before each fireing. Things could get real exciting in a hurry with any of these. I wonder how they managed to load the cylinders.

That makes me wonder that in order to shoot that one, would one have to ram the charge that was stored in the revolving section, down into the breech?
Some of the wheellock ones have ramrods, so that is a very good hypothesis. Ramming a loaded chamber is still faster than loading from the muzzle.
dff7cbbe-5438-455c-9095-d29dff418270.jpg

Every one of these 16th/17th century revolvers seem to have a metal deflector in front of the chambers, so it seems like they were very aware of what they were getting into.

I want to build one... and then decorate the bejeezes out of it!
As for the wheellock one, ram the charge home and then prime the pan. Would be a bugger to clean.
I would assume they are all rotated by hand.

They are in excellent condition- because no one was foolish enough to actually shoot one…or shot it once , and thought “ maybe not a great idea!”
A lot of the matchlock revolvers have full length barrels and stocks. The idea of putting my hand in front of the cylinder to fire one of these is terrifying. A great way to have a surprise amputation!
FA6441E9-1E85-46CB-8AAD-F92C6B4B956D.jpeg

Attachments

• E63C6CCB-BC8A-45D6-B076-DD430BFFE213.jpeg
    E63C6CCB-BC8A-45D6-B076-DD430BFFE213.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I think I have finally figured out how they were loaded. Move an empty chamber into firing position and load from the muzzle. Pretty simple if you don't get confused. They don't have ramrods attached because a servant loaded them before leaving the castle.

They don't have ramrods attached because a servant loaded them before leaving the castle.
All of these shown and ones I have seen have ramrods...
In building one, figuring out the mounting structure needed to support the barrel allowing the cylinder to spin. None of these are auto rotating. They are turned by hand & locked in place.. Then the charged rammed into place. Finally the pan is primed. oh... put ramrod away... most of these are missing them...
Ready to 🔥 !

You could use the barrel group/ cylinder from one of those .36 pepperbox kits. You know, the old crappy ones from the 1970’s with the brass frame and horrible trigger pull. They were a 4 shot i believe. I may have one laying around here……

If you had a lathe and a drill press, I assume the cylinder would be fairly easy? Particularly because you could use modern steel and not wrought iron, so you won’t blow up.

Cylinder would also need individual pans & covers. Would want to make it at least 7 cylinders. Just to be unique. 7 is a magic number...
The pepper box is a percussion affair... I have had a few. Good concept though.

Back