• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revisiting hardtack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a search and found this seven-age thread from 2020, which gave me ideas.
Seems like eight or ten years ago I tried several hardtack recipes, several of which were scarcely edible and one of which was quite addicting, but it wasn't true hardtack as it was soft enough to eat without tooth damage.
I think I will try a couple of the variants from the thread above: the one with oats, sugar, shortening and baking soda, and the one specifying whole wheat pastry flour and wheat bran.
Anyone else out there been on the hardtack/biscuit trail lately?

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/tasty-tasty-hardtack.123464/

Last edited:
No as I posted the whole wheat pastry flour/bran recipe, and have biscuits that are three years old and edible, I'll wait until I run out. 😉

I recently bought a large set of round cutters, to do all sorts of different things when baking, but one of which that will work for hardtack. In the past I've made mine rather small. I'm told they should be about 4 ounces, and a soldier would get like four a day. A steel coffee can that has from 12-16 ounces of ground coffee might be the right diameter for those not wanting to splurge on the fancy, store bought cutter set.

LD

Thanks Dave. I'll be trying your recipe here shortly. I may have to go to the "big city" (Abilene) to find whole wheat pastry flour and wheat bran without ordering it. I have one of those rolling perforators for pizza crusts that ought to be the nuts for putting the holes in the hardtack dough.

Ive been listening to some civil war audio books lately, and just last week I was thinking I should make some hard tac just to see what it was like.

Broke a molar on ships bread.
I like ships bread. While it is bland I do like the nutty wheat flavor, especially in a camp stew or broke up and used as a coating for fried meat.
However since breaking a tooth I go with a lighter pilot bread. It’s a little out of time, not coming in to use until after the 1790s, and only last well about a year, mine never gets that old. Serves like ships bread but my teeth are safe(er)

Some of the "hard core" CW enactors carry and use authentic hardtack. Sure to be some on this site!
I was once an ACW reenactor. Didn't switch to the flintlock era until 1994. Never found ACW reenactors prior too, or after, who didn't make their hardtack with flour from hard red wheat.

LD

Latest posts

Back